New computer systems

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On March 29th we start application and builder training for the Mediware HCLL system. We are installing it in 20+ hospitals ranging from 500+ beds to <20 beds. The expectation is everything will be standardized. A couple of the larger facilities will act as central testing centers for some of the smaller facilities. I think we will be testing the limits of the system not to mention our sanity. Burn a candle or 2 for us. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I could probably write a book on this subject, and perhaps some day I will. Over the course of my career I have become familiar with four different blood bank information systems, some to my great regret.

One of the big problems with choosing and installing a blood bank IS is knowing to ask the right questions. Unfortunately, the representatives of many vendors who demo their company's software don't often know the answers, and considerable research is required to ferret out the responses. For example, a common mistake is to concentrate on the ease of use from the bench standpoint, certainly an iimportant consideration. But an equally important consideration is just how well these systems talk to the existing HIS, that is, how well do they communicate critical information. I think it essential to communicate the current status of a unit across the LIS-HIS interface, so that physicians can see that units are crossmatched, or issued, or transfused. Some systems can do this, others cannot--even much touted recently revamped systems.

I would be happy to discuss the topic further--I would like to create a checklist for "Choosing the right BBIS".--CC

I agree with CCard. The reps are not going to tell you what is wrong with the system. You could have the perfect system for the blood bank, but that most of the data will not cross over the interface then, what good is it. Your tech's will get frustrated because of the double entry or phone calls because the floor can't see something.

Interface were one of the biggest items on our check list. Our interface gurus made sure all specifications were acceptable before any ink went on the contract. At this point in time the interfaces are the least of my concerns because of the investigation that occurred up front. 8)

• 2 months later...

I would be happy to discuss the topic further--I would like to create a checklist for "Choosing the right BBIS".--CC

Please share that list with us when you write it! 8) Am currently part of a team to find a new BB/DC system and I can use all the help I can get!

• 4 months later...

Ditto,

Please inform us of the questions that need to be asked. It is without a doubt an extremely exhausting and frustrating feeling when getting a demo talk about interfaces whether it is between, the blood bank system(BIS) to LIS or BIS-to LIS-to HIS or even automation in blood bank and the interfaces to the BIS. It is usually double speak.

What we all need is a list of questions that must be asked and answered to specify what can and can not be done, what interface issues are invoved, what is meant by support, validation, etc.

• 7 months later...