panel A vs panel B

monopolova

Hello all,

Any differences between Ortho Panel A versus Ortho Panel B which would argue that a CLS should favor (from a serology perspective) using Panel A first to work up an antibody ID (as opposed to using Panel B first)?  I imagine that if you statistically rule out your antibodies using either Panel, you should be good.  But, perhaps there is a nuance I am missing.

Thanks!

14 hours ago, monopolova said:

Hello all,

Any differences between Ortho Panel A versus Ortho Panel B which would argue that a CLS should favor (from a serology perspective) using Panel A first to work up an antibody ID (as opposed to using Panel B first)?  I imagine that if you statistically rule out your antibodies using either Panel, you should be good.  But, perhaps there is a nuance I am missing.

Thanks!

Panel B is meant to be used as a supplement to Panel A, not instead of Panel A (see inserts). Panel A is your primary panel. You only use Panel B if you have more than 1 antibody, need rule outs/ins, etc.. Part B is like a logical continuation of Part A. That is why cells are numbered 1 to 22.  Panel A has cells 1 to 11. Panel B has cells 12 to 22. 

If you take in account the Rh haplotypes: 

image.thumb.png.b43aa294de6c27a75d13ab8de5af5441.png

and the most common Rh haplotypes: 

image.png.34f43ef43ec49d53f82fad9d07f3d6a5.png

You can logically deduce that, the most common haplotype for caucasians are Rh positive haplotype "R1" and "R2" combos and  ends with not as common haplotypes combos. 

Then if you do a side by side comparison of Panel A and B, you can see that it starts out with the more common haplotypes(R1) combos and ends with the not as common combos. 

image.thumb.png.fdb8c49a480d473f717594ad83c31a4b.png

You will probably won't see too much Z's, Y's and double primes (") haplotypes used in these Panels because those donors are not as common and procuring them may not be commercially feasible. 

I am sure somebody smarter than me will probably prove me wrong, but these are my evidence-based thoughts on this matter. 

Sources: 

https://www.bbguy.org/2016/05/13/rh-blood-group-terminology/

Package Insert - Resolve Panel A.pdf Package Insert - Resolve Panel B.pdf

Edited by SbbPerson
grammar is hard