QC for ABO in Gel

I've seen a few threads about doing QC for gel, but was wondering if anyone was willing to share their procedure with me? We currently do ABO in tube and screens in IgG gel cards. We are looking to switch to ORTHO's ABD Reverse Gel cards and still do our screens using the 0.8% Surgiscreen. Any opinions on best option for QC? I see where some are using the ORTHO Confidence System? Some are using their Immucor CorQC tube reagents. What's the best way to switch and with what reagents for QC?

Also for retypes, use the Ortho ABD card? I'm assuming this has to be QC'd as well?

What about Cord Blood? Use the Ortho ABD cards? Does this detect weak D?  

We use the Ortho Confidence System and AB plasma as our negative control. That will cover all of your possibility of reactions. Yes you would have to QC the ABD card as well. For Cord study we run the ABD w/Rev (in case the patient is AB POS you need the ctrl) and an IgG card well for the DAT. It may detect weak D but we perform a weak D test on every Rh negative newborn.

6 hours ago, Linz said:

I've seen a few threads about doing QC for gel, but was wondering if anyone was willing to share their procedure with me? We currently do ABO in tube and screens in IgG gel cards. We are looking to switch to ORTHO's ABD Reverse Gel cards and still do our screens using the 0.8% Surgiscreen. Any opinions on best option for QC? I see where some are using the ORTHO Confidence System? Some are using their Immucor CorQC tube reagents. What's the best way to switch and with what reagents for QC?

Also for retypes, use the Ortho ABD card? I'm assuming this has to be QC'd as well?

What about Cord Blood? Use the Ortho ABD cards? Does this detect weak D?  

I'll assume you are doing Gel testing manually. I think you are wise to convert routine ABO/Rh and Antibody screen from tube testing to Gel testing.

To QC the antibody screen test using Surgiscreen and Anti-IgG Gel card, you need a positive and negative control cell for each screen cell vial.  This can be accomplished in one (1) Anti-IgG Gel card.

To QC the A/B/D Monoclonal and Reverse Grouping card, you will need to test each reagent in the gel card with positive an negative controls (this will require a minimum of two cards). You can QC the two (2) Buffered Gel columns with anti-A + A1 cells, anti-A + B cells, anti-B + A1 cells, and anti-B + B cells using the same two A/B/D Monoclonal and Reverse Grouping cards.

You could use the A/B/D Gel card to confirm all donor unit types or you could use the A/B Gel card for non-group O Rh positive units, the Anti-A,B Gel card for all group O Rh positive units, and use the A/B/D Gel card for all units labeled Rh Negative.  All these cards would require Day of Use QC.

You could use the A/B/D Monoclonal and Reverse Grouping Gel card or the A/B/D Monoclonal Grouping card for Cord Blood testing.  These cards will not detect all weak D's. You will have to run Weak D testing on all Cord Bloods initially classified as Rh Negative.

There are other options based on your workload.

Edited by Dansket
corrected typo you to your

I use immucor's CorQc for my positive qc; dilute the antibody 1:10.  You can use the AB+ cells - you should replace the diluent w Ortho's.   For negative I make suspension of O= rbcs and I use the diluent as my negative (checks both cells an diluent for contamination).

Edited by David Saikin
added more