Sign in to follow this  
Mabel Adams

naturally occuring anti-Fyb

We have a pancreatic cancer patient who swears he has never been transfused and doesn't appear to have had major surgeries that require transfusion but who has an anti-Fyb.  No evidence of a source of passive antibodies.  Negative antibody screen elsewhere in recent months.  Are there reports of naturally occurring anti-Fyb?

The only report I can find is Michalewska B.  Naturally occurring anti-Fyb + Cw.  Vox Sanguinis 2001; 80: 235.  In this (which is a letter to the Editor, rather than a "paper"), the author writes about another unpublished observation cited in Issitt PD.  Applied Blood Group Serology.  3rd edition.  Miami. Montgomery Scientific Publications, 1985: 278.  While I have a copy of this book, I can't get to it at the moment.

I once came across a male patient with a very strong anti-Fya.  He said that, despite fighting in the army and having undergone surgery, he had never been transfused.  We didn't delve too deeply, as he was a Jehovah's Witness, but we were a little sceptical!