Infusion filter set question

Hi everyone,

I'm asking for a friend...this question was e-mailed to me and I couldn't find the answer.  Any advice would be appreciated :-)!

"...we used to carry here an infusion filter set that you could dial in the amount you wanted to transfuse.  The nursery used to keep them.  Just found out that they no longer keep them and haven't ordered them in ages.  Our central supply doesn't remember anything about them.  The reason I asked, we had a newborn get transferred from here and the ambulance service took a unit of blood.  ER wanted this specific filter to go with and we didn't have one.  Normally for an infusion here, we'd just split the unit and go with it, but ER wanted the whole unit to go. 

I'm striking out trying to find some.  Do you know of any manufacturers of these types of filters?"

I am confused because if/when a unit of blood goes to the nursery: how does blood get into the set? How does a presumably disposable uncalibrated infusion set calculate the amount of blood to be transfused? How is the change in product code and expiry date modified and documented or is the remaining blood just wasted? How and who determines that the correct amount of blood was given? Why would these, I assume, blood specific infusion sets be in the nursery?

Am I missing something?

3 hours ago, Ensis01 said:

I am confused because if/when a unit of blood goes to the nursery: how does blood get into the set? How does a presumably disposable uncalibrated infusion set calculate the amount of blood to be transfused? How is the change in product code and expiry date modified and documented or is the remaining blood just wasted? How and who determines that the correct amount of blood was given? Why would these, I assume, blood specific infusion sets be in the nursery?

Am I missing something?

I don't know.  I've never seen such a thing, which is why I'm polling the larger community.