How many backup thermometers?

Cliff

We monitor just about everything with Rees.  We also have thermometers in all of our fridges and freezes in case a probe dies or the system goes down.  We validate these thermometers annually and that is a lot of work and a lot of money.

I suspect this is one of those things that is just the way we've always done it, but I wanted to see what others did.

For a single door fridge we have a downtime thermometer on the top and bottom shelf, for a double door fridge we have the same but on each side.

This adds up to a lot of downtime thermometers, about 140 total.

We are considering placing a single thermometer in any device regardless of size (we don't have any walk-ins) near the Rees probe.

What do you do?

Thanks

Cliff, so you only have one Rees probe per storage unit?

Hmm, no.  Good catch.  Single door fridge, water bath, freezer, platelet incubator and each platelet rocker have 1 probe, a double door fridge has two.

I guess I would revise my proposal, to have one backup thermometer paired with each Rees probe.  That would cut our thermometers almost in half.

That's how we have it set up.

Our -80 to -40 freezers are the only exception with two thermometers & probes but that's because on the inside they're separated into upper and lower cabinets. Annoying because they're also the hardest to perform alarm activations on.

Thanks, if I remember correctly most of our colder freezers have individual compartments inside, yet we only have on Rees probe.