Is this patient a real group A2B with anti-A1?

Clarest

Recently, we had a patient with following ABO group test result:

Anti-A: 4+ ,  anti-B: 4+,  anti-A1 Lectin: 0,  A1 cells: 3+,  B cells: 0, A2 cells: 0;  DAT: neg; antibody screen: neg.

I am wondering if this patient is a real group A2B as I thought usually A2B is only 2+mf with anti-A and 1+ with A1 cells. Patient has no history of BMT, but has liver and kidney failure.

I told my tech to give group O red cells, group B platelets (no group AB available) and group AB plasma.

Can anybody give another thought? Thanks

It looks like a straightforward A2B with anti-A1 to me (although you need to test the plasma with a couple more examples of A1 red cells and a couple more examples of A2 red cells, to ensure that the original A1 red cells were not expressing a low prevalence antigen against which, by chance, your patient has raised an antibody).

If you prove it to be a true anti-A1, as I suspect, then do a thermal amplitude test to see if it reacts at 37oC (which I doubt).  If it does not react at 37oC, it is clinically benign, and you can safely transfuse your patient with cross-match compatible AB red cells, and you will not have to waste your precious group O red cells.

Thank you Malcolm. As I checked with reference books, group A2B reaction strength against anti-A1 or A1 cells is usually weaker than 3+. So, I felt a little bit confused with this case. Moreover, could you please explain what kind of situation / underlying disease may cause patient develop clinically significant anti-A1 reacting at 37C? How should the thermal amplitude test be performed, e.g,time duration at 37C, any controls? Thanks.

There are, as far as I know, no conditions or underlying diseases that make a person prone to developing clinically significant anti-A1.  Such an antibody is very rare.  I have only ever seen one convincing case.  This was in an A2B patient with haemophilia, but I have seen an awful lot of other A2B haemophiliacs who have not had a clinically significant anti-A1.

The way we test for it is to allow the red cell suspension and the plasma to come to 37oC before they are mixed, and then to mix them and incubate for about 30 minutes at strictly 37oC before examining for agglutination.

There are, as far as I know, no conditions or underlying diseases that make a person prone to developing clinically significant anti-A1.  Such an antibody is very rare.  I have only ever seen one convincing case.  This was in an A2B patient with haemophilia, but I have seen an awful lot of other A2B haemophiliacs who have not had a clinically significant anti-A1.

The way we test for it is to allow the red cell suspension and the plasma to come to 37oC before they are mixed, and then to mix them and incubate for about 30 minutes at strictly 37oC before examining for agglutination.

I assume this is done in test tube. Do you centrifuge before examination?

• 4 weeks later...

I am an A2B Negative [i haven't developed anti-A1 yet since I have never been transfused] but with the increased strength of the monoclonal typing reagents, my "A " type is 3-4+, but years ago it was 2+.  There is no mixfield reaction with A2, that is with A3

I trust you ran the Anti-A1 against an O cell to make sure its Anti-A1 and not a RT alloantibody.  Since it was nonreactive with A2 cells and reactive with A1 cells, your testing looks like an A2B with Anti-A1