BB System partner with Epic?

My facility is exploring HIS/LIS/BBIS options.  One of the contenders is Epic and another is Cerner.  It is my understanding that if Cerner is chosen as the HIS, then the lab/BB will be switching to Millenium.  If Epic is chosen, the lab might have the option of going to Beakers/whatever the Epic partner system is for BB or possibly staying with HLAB/HSS Safetrace Tx. 

Does anyone know what BBIS Epic partners with for their BB application?  Has anyone used Epic with Beakers and this sytem and what is your feedback of that experience?  Does anyone have an opinion of Cerner Millenium vs. HSS Safetrace TX vs. whatever the Epic BBIS is?  Thanks!

I used Cerner Millenium for Blood Bank in the past, not my favorite.  It does the minimum, but there were some weird workarounds.  I'm not entirely sure ours was built correctly, so that may have been the problem.

We have Epic here as our HIS and their Beaker as our lab system.  They do not, and have no plans to get a Blood Bank system.  You will need a stand-alone Blood Bank system.  We selected SoftBank and we love it.  You would probably be better off keeping SafeTrace if they are able to act as a stand-alone.  Then you just have to work on interfacing it.  Make sure they interface to both EpicCare (the HIS part) and Beaker (the Lab part); we didn't interface to Beaker and have regretted that ever since.

We are on paper for blood admininstration, as Epic's module was not FDA approved, but 2 weeks ago it was given 510K approval for the 2014 version, so we will be starting to implement that here hopefully in the fall.

Private message me if you have any other specific questions.

We use Cerner Millenium.  Although it is not perfect, once you learn the tasks it does the job.  We have clinics that use Epic and are now developing an interface so providers can order blood products.  This is not completed so I can not say one way or another how well it works.  I have used Mysis, Meditech, and DBSS (the military blood system) in the past and so far, Cerner seems to work out the best. I hope that helps.    

Thanks for your replies. 

For anyone else out there.....what do you think the best BBIS system is and why?  I have heard mostly favorable things about Softbank, HCLL Mediware, and Cerner Millenium for BB.  I would love to hear from actual users as anyone can sell a product, but those that use it seem to know best.  Thanks for your feedback of pros and cons as well as your favorite. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are currently updating to SoftBank BB LIS, and were notified recently that EPIC has received FDA approval for its BB software.  However, it doesn't appear to be available for use and I don't know whether anyone is doing beta-testing for them.

For those looking at SoftBank, we were told it is a stand-alone system in anticipation of our facility jumping on EPIC Beaker.  However, all billing and resulting have to go through SoftLab before crossing over to the appropriate HIS destinations.  This was a big disappointment when we asked the right questions and learned the correct answer.  Yes, it is a separate module, but it is NOT stand-alone.  I don't know whether interfaces are possible without SoftLab, so this would be something to explore.

Epic does not have FDA approval for a Blood Bank system, and they have no plans to. What they did just have approved is their blood administration module (in Epic Care, for nurses to administer the blood to the patient). I've seen the demo, it still needs some work, but we are looking forward to getting off paper for blood admin.

We have SoftBank. It comes with SoftLab, where all of the ADT comes in from Epic, and all of the interfaces reside. It still technically is considered a stand-alone Blood Bank system. You will be very happy with SoftBank.