Shockwatch Warmmark 2 Blood bag temp. indicator

mprado

We are using the Shockwath indicators.  We previously used the Hemotemp stickers.  Shockwatch sent a validation procedure when we ordered them which was fairly simple.  The shockwatch indicators are very easy to use and so far they have worked well.

• 4 weeks later...

We began using the Shock Watch indicators on March 1st. We have had problems - 5 units in 2 weeks activated and turned blue. I called the company (Digitrax) and was given some advice.

1. Put the tags on just before packing for transport, not after crossmatch or irradiation and then store

2. Always store the units with "tag up." Either in the refrigerator or in box or cooler. I guess the air is important.

3. The tag is ok to place on top of a label or sticker on the unit, or directly on the unit. (Still trying this).

We are giving Shock Watch another chance, and I told the company this, but, if the problem continues I will switch to another supplier - checking out both Hemo temp II and Safe T vue.

Hopefully these suggestions will work. So far no issues this week. We send units to the cancer center, 4 miles away, nearly every day. We validate the cooler, but the State wanted some sort of indicator.

We tested the shockwatch in parallel with our existing SafeTVue 10. At first they seem to compare ok, but then as a little time went on, we noticed that several units (maybe 1 in 5) which never left the fridge remained ok according the the SafeTVue10 but changed color on the shockwatch. We felt confident the temp of the units never actually rose.

We tested the shockwatch in parallel with our existing SafeTVue 10. At first they seem to compare ok, but then as a little time went on, we noticed that several units (maybe 1 in 5) which never left the fridge remained ok according the the SafeTVue10 but changed color on the shockwatch. We felt confident the temp of the units never actually rose.

I know the hemotemps are only valid for a limited time once activated - this could also be true of the shockwatch.  I just rec'd some to try and find the comments intriguing!

• 4 weeks later...

In response to your postings, Digi-Trax is a distributor of the Shockwatch product, and we just wanted to share some additional tips. When using the blood bag temperature indicators, it’s really important to keep the blood bags as far from the refrigerator door as possible. Opening and closing of the refrigerator door, even for a short period, can affect the temperature of the bag. Because the indicators read the core temperature of the bag, rather than the ambient air, one should place the tag where the greatest amount of blood resides (typically near the center of the bag, not the top).

If any of you are having issues, and would like an on-site assessment to help you optimize your use of the blood temp indicators, please let me know. Also, Shockwatch is in the process of obtaining a 510(k) and anticipates having approval for this product in the next few months.

Michelle

In response to your postings, Digi-Trax is a distributor of the Shockwatch product, and we just wanted to share some additional tips. When using the blood bag temperature indicators, it’s really important to keep the blood bags as far from the refrigerator door as possible. Opening and closing of the refrigerator door, even for a short period, can affect the temperature of the bag. Because the indicators read the core temperature of the bag, rather than the ambient air, one should place the tag where the greatest amount of blood resides (typically near the center of the bag, not the top).

If any of you are having issues, and would like an on-site assessment to help you optimize your use of the blood temp indicators, please let me know. Also, Shockwatch is in the process of obtaining a 510(k) and anticipates having approval for this product in the next few months.

Michelle

Michelle..  There are no chemical indicators on the market today that actually read "core temperature".  There are simulated core temperatures that can be read, however the indicator you are representing is not reading the actual core temperature.  The only way to read "core temperature" is to probe the blood with a calibrated electronic indicator.  I noticed this was listed as reading the actual core temperature in other marketing pieces and it is simply not the case.  Please be careful on how the product is represented. 

• 2 weeks later...