Collection bags for Therapeutic Phlebotomy and Acute Normovolemic Hemodilution

SBriggs

My institution currently performs Therapeutic Phlebotomies, however we waste a lot of bags because we buy the case and once the foil seal is open the expiration is only 30 days.  We need a bag that would collect up to 500mls.  We always immediately dispose of blood collected for therapeutic phlebotomies.  Any suggestions?

We are also going to begin performing ANH procedures at our facility.  Again I am running into bags that would need to be bought by the case, however we will not be performing this procedure very often.  I am looking for collection suggestions for this protocol. 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The only solution we have found that seems to save us money, is using the CPDA 1 bags for therapeutic phlebotomy.  If the foil package is opened to remove a bag, as long as you fold the open ends closed, the expiration is 60 days. 12 bags come in a foil packaged, but we also have to order by the case.

Macropharma makes a therapuetic phlebotomy bag that are 20 per case are are individually packaged so you don't run into expired bags. They can be purchased either with or without needles. They are a 600 ml bag.

Edited by rbayliff

We use dry bags from Terumo for our Therapeutic collections.  They are cheaper and come sealed individually in plastic.  If you are immediately discarding, you don't need any anti-coagulant in the bag.  They have an access port for specimen collection in the event that the patient needs other blood work drawn at the same time.