Moving the ProVue

butlermom

In a couple of months we will be relocating our entire laboratory to a new building.  I know I must re-certify all of our equipment after the move and this includes our ProVue.  Our field service engineer will be onsite to prepare the ProVue for transport.  Once in place in the new location, he will perform his magic to re-certify it meets required specifications.  Ortho has no recommendations on re-validation, but I'm wondering if I have to validate it as I did when it was first installed new or only perform an "abbreviated" validation this time.  I think some regression testing should be included as well.  Has anyone re-validated their ProVue after a move and if so, how extensive was your process?  Thanks for your input!

Kathryn  

• 5 months later...

Kathryn,

I am wondering if you got any replies to this and if the move has already taken place, what did you decide to do? We are moving to a renovated space in a couple of months but it is only about 50 feet from where we are now.

I was just going to run about 10 previously tested specimens after the move for validation...plus the QC of course. I was not even planning on having a field service engineer on site because I was told that would cost about $4k!

Thanks,

Amelia

Amelia,

We moved in late October into our new building and the field engineer was on site.  It was expensive but everything went smoothly.  What I did was to write a re-validation plan which included just a couple of items from each section of the original validation from when the instrument was installed.  I wrote the plan, another tech performed the testing, then I reviewed the data.  We also ran previously tested specimens after the move -- I used samples of every blood type for this as well as about 8 cord blood samples.  The move involved the ProVue being lifted and placed in a truck then transported about half a block away and off-loaded.  I was nervous the whole time but the field engineer was great and made sure it was handled carefully.  We moved 4 years ago about the same as what you are about to do and we did not have the field engineer at that time.  The ProVue stayed on its rolling cart and we simply rolled it down the hallway and into an elevator then down another hallway into the lab.  At that time my FE did advise me to take some packing material--I used bubble wrap from our FFP--to immobilize the robotic handler so it wouldn't move around.  I kind of "wedged" the bubble wrap under it and placed some on the right side so it would not bang against the inside wall there.  Also, you will want to perform a back-up prior to moving.  At that time, we only ran some previously tested samples and QC and we were good to go.  For fifty feet this should work for you.  Good luck!

Kathryn