pipet calibration verification

flaminredfirebird

Hi all, I was wondering what you all are doing for verification checks on pipet calibration? It is my understanding that TJC requires a verification check every 6 months? We have a very old Streck VC-100 Pipettor Calibration System that we have used in the past but it is very time consuming and we are minimally staffed. I have ran across the Pipet Verification Service from Streck where they send you the solution, you pipet into it, and send the vials back. They verify accuracy, reproducibility, SD...etc. Is anyone using this? It is $42.00 per pipet. We have about 25 total pipets. I have contacted our Bio-Med department as I was told that this was one of their responsiblities most places. Is this true? I have had no response from them. We have mostly MLA pipets and a few Thermo I believe. So what is everyone else doing? Thanks in advance!

We just changed to quarterly verifications. Our Bio-Med department said they could perform the verification but they would rather show us, and then it be our responsibility. We follow the manufacturers recommendation: clean, re-grease and then perform calibration verification by using DI water and a calibrated balance (10 readings per volume). We probably do overkill by verifying each volume and mode we use.

We just changed to quarterly verifications. Our Bio-Med department said they could perform the verification but they would rather show us, and then it be our responsibility. We follow the manufacturers recommendation: clean, re-grease and then perform calibration verification by using DI water and a calibrated balance (10 readings per volume). We probably do overkill by verifying each volume and mode we use.

Definitely not overkill to verify all volumes/modes. Our HFAP inspector tried to cite us for not doing all three volumes for our adjustable pipette (she just didn't turn the page to see the other volumes, so no deficiency). We actually have a system from Streck that we use to calibrate the pipettes in house quarterly (per AABB recommendations). It sounds like the same system mentioned above, only we have the machine that analyzes it here.

Hi all, I was wondering what you all are doing for verification checks on pipet calibration? It is my understanding that TJC requires a verification check every 6 months? We have a very old Streck VC-100 Pipettor Calibration System that we have used in the past but it is very time consuming and we are minimally staffed. I have ran across the Pipet Verification Service from Streck where they send you the solution, you pipet into it, and send the vials back. They verify accuracy, reproducibility, SD...etc. Is anyone using this? It is $42.00 per pipet. We have about 25 total pipets. I have contacted our Bio-Med department as I was told that this was one of their responsiblities most places. Is this true? I have had no response from them. We have mostly MLA pipets and a few Thermo I believe. So what is everyone else doing? Thanks in advance!

We , Blood bank staff calibrate our pipettors every 6 months using Artel .