Need a good reference for nursing transfusion procedures

cbaldwin

Hello,

I am helping nursing update their transfusion SOP and a question about pooled cryo has arisen.

In the past we used single units of cryo which were infused with syringes. We now stock pooled cryo. Nursing has asked me what kind of tubing and filters should be used for the pooled cryo. I am thinking they should use the same set-up they use for FFP.

Please help me answer this question correctly.

Also, since I am being approached with these questions, what is a good reference I can use for nursing transfusion procedures? I have looked at AABB publications but don't see anything that actually addresses tubing. There is an excellent AABB publication, free to AABB members, "Primer of Blood Administration", which is loaded with great information, but there is nothing about tubing, filters, and the actual process of transfusion.

Thanks so much! :confused::D

Just found the information I was looking for--cryo needs a filter.

But still would like to know a good reference for the actual transfusion procedures--tubing, filters, etc. I seem to be in a position where nursing asks me for advice. I guess I'm qualified to give advice because I don't know anything. :no:

In the past when nurses have asked me questions about what tubing to use, I have suggested they consult nursing procedures. But now I am being asked to look over the nursing procedure for transfusion to see if it looks good to me. I have made some changes. For instance, I stated that the IV should be started before the unit is obtained from the Transfusion Service and added that pRBCs need to be transfused within 4 hours.

Our NUrses use Lipppincott - they can edit the procedures to accommodate local/internal policies.

Standard blood transfusion set should suffice for your pooled cryo. Did they use filtered syringed when they did the cryo before? - just curious

Thank you! When they used syringes to administer cryo, they also used a component infusion set that had a filter, so there was a filter.

• 2 weeks later...