Malaria testing

umeshkumar

Hi,

We have been screening blood donors for malaria by the conventional microscopy of stained peripheral blood smear.

Riyadh is not endemic for Malaria. Most of our Donors are Saudi nationals from Riyadh.

Now we have decided to replace this by Malaria antibody screening (ELISA, Biorad). The kit cataloque mentions that it is approved for screening blood donors.

We thought of a protocol of testing all donors for malaria Ab by ELISA and then making smears for microscopy for the Antibody reactive donor samples.

1. Is this acceptable?

2. What are the AABB regulations on Malaria testing for Blood donors?

3. What kits are FDA approved for malaria testing for Donors?

thanks

Hi,We have been screening blood donors for malaria by the conventional microscopy of stained peripheral blood smear.Riyadh is not endemic for Malaria. Most of our Donors are Saudi nationals from Riyadh.Now we have decided to replace this by Malaria antibody screening (ELISA, Biorad). The kit cataloque mentions that it is approved for screening blood donors.We thought of a protocol of testing all donors for malaria Ab by ELISA and then making smears for microscopy for the Antibody reactive donor samples.1. Is this acceptable?2. What are the AABB regulations on Malaria testing for Blood donors?3. What kits are FDA approved for malaria testing for Donors?thanks
Since there are no endemic areas in the US ... I don't know of a blood center that does ANY malaria screening of donors.I am unaware of any ABBB/ FDA regulation surrounding malaria testing for donors. I think you're on your own on that one. Sorry can't help.