SBB online review at George Washington...

lynda03

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about taking the SBB exam and I am trying to figure out my best study options. Has anyone taken the SBB exam review course that is offered online at George Washington University? It consists of 10 modules and a practice exam that you do at your own pace. It is quite expensive...not as expensive as a year long SBB course, but I don't want to waste the money if it is not worth it. It seems quite extensive but I am hoping someone here has taken it or heard something about it.

Thank you all so much for any help you can give me.

Lynda

If you are not going to an SBB program you probably can use all the help you can get. When I took it (decades ago - with the practical portion too) it was Blood Bank Trivial pursuits. You can study lots and lots but the chance to have a practice exam is probably worth the price of admission.

The SCABB (South Central Association of Blood Banks) sponsors a 3 day review in Galveston Texas in March. I have been told by recent SBB exam takers that this review is excellent and it helped them a lot! You can go on the SCABB web site for more information, although I just checked the website and the exam review is not listed yet. You could contact them and ask for more information.

• 3 months later...

The SCABB just announced "The Last Chance Review" for the SBB exam will be in Houston February 9th and 10th. You don't have to go to Texas--you can view it as a Webinar. Here is the information:

http://www.giveblood.org/services/education/sbb-last-chance-review or contact Clare Wong at cwong@giveblood.org

Edited by cbaldwin
removed info that made post look like an ad

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about taking the SBB exam and I am trying to figure out my best study options. Has anyone taken the SBB exam review course that is offered online at George Washington University? It consists of 10 modules and a practice exam that you do at your own pace. It is quite expensive...not as expensive as a year long SBB course, but I don't want to waste the money if it is not worth it. It seems quite extensive but I am hoping someone here has taken it or heard something about it.

Thank you all so much for any help you can give me.

Lynda

Hi Lynda,

I was wondering if you ended up taking this course and how you liked it. Are the 10 modules self-paced also? Can you sign up for it anytime or is there a schedule. You said it is expensive....how expensive?

Thank you!

Catherine

• 3 months later...
Hi Lynda,

I was wondering if you ended up taking this course and how you liked it. Are the 10 modules self-paced also? Can you sign up for it anytime or is there a schedule. You said it is expensive....how expensive?

Thank you!

Catherine

I checked them out and asked for more info about their SBB review and their Masters in Immunohematology program. Apparently the Masters program has been discontinued (for civilians). I haven't heard back about the SBB review, though the site list the cost as $1000. They mention they plan to start Masters in CLS program ~spring 2014. Hope this helps!

OK, so the program is self-paced, but you only have 12 weeks to complete it. It's scheduled-you have to apply and there are 3 opportunities per year to take it. I'm still not 100% sure I'll take it--if I do I'll let you guys know!!