Blood Warmers

LAURAA80

Hi Everyone!! I don't know much about blood warmers so I am hoping some of you out there can help me. In the past, our Blood Bank has not been involved with the blood warmers in our facility. This is all changing. Our Blood Administration policy states not to warm blood above 42 C, to avoid hemolysis. However, looking at the Operator Manual for the blood warmer, the warming device shuts off at 43.1 and will not alarm until 45 C. This seems wrong to me. Should the user be alerted with an audible alarm around 42.5 or 43 C, maybe sooner??? I'm also wondering what manufacturer of blood warmers other facilities are using. Also, are other facilities out there marking blood warmers as sticktly for blood and marked as such and separate warmers for fluid markers, also marked as such?? One last thing, according to CAP, the blood warmers need annual thermometer calibration. Would anyone be willing to share how this is done?? My idea is to have the blood warmer heat to 42 C and then aim the NIST laser temperature gun into the warmer. Does this sound acceptable? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

We use Level 1 and (drawing a blank on the other brand) blood warmers. I know we do quarterly QC on them. I think alarm temp is above 42C but I don't think the blood gets that warm, just the warmer itself or some such. These have been FDA approved for warming blood so as long as they operate according to manufacturer's specs I think you are ok. Now I might have to look at our procedure since you have made me think of it. :)