Metrics for Blood and Blood Component Wastage

SBriggs

I am looking for some help. . .

Does anyone have a good reference/resource addressing quality metrics when dealing with blood and blood component wastage. My hospital quality department wants me to reduce our wastage - which we can work on, but it would be nice to know how other organizations stack up to us and what goals we should set.

Thanks,

Sara

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend separating out autologous whole blood units from everything else since they tend to have a lot higher percentage of wastage which will drag your results down otherwise - and you dont have any control over whether they are drawn or used.

I have asked our local blood supplier for support in sharing this info among our collegues. They are working on it, having obtained and compiled some hospital data, but haven't shared it with their hospital customers yet.

They do provide color graphs showing our comparative type O RBC usage, so it's not a stretch to ask for this info to our benefit.