Transfusion Policy

David Saikin

What are policies regarding frequency of vitals during transfusions? My Nursing folks feel that pre, after 15 min and q 1/2 hour for the duration and then post is too much. Is it? All your opinions will be gratefully accepted . . . looking for actual policies. Also, any other items performed as part/parcel of the transfusion event are of interest.

Thanks all!

In the nursing policy for transfusion it is specified to perform vitals pre, at 15 minutes and each hour thereafter. There is a one hour post vitals recorded as well. The time frames were specified over 20 years ago and have not changed to my knowledge at our facility. Nursing has not ever mentioned any issue with the timing to my knowledge. It is not uncommon to find a significant change in blood pressure from one hour to the next that could specify a transfusion reaction. This is part of the audit performed on each unit's transfusion record to be sure nursing noted the significance of the changes and documented reason(s) for the change since a transfusion reaction was not called. If you need the policy copy, I might be able to help with that.