SOP reagents & supplies

I have been a manager in blood banking for some time now. I now do the QA/QI/Compliance for our Transfusion Service. Our new Manager wants to change how we list reagents and supplies in that section of our procedures. I have checked AABB, CAP, NCCLS, etc. and can not locate anything that says exactly how you are to list reagents and supplies. I am used to saying 10 x 75 mm tubes, the name of the reagent (include manufacturer sometimes, especially if you have more than one being used in the lab) and saying either buffered saline or 0.9% NaCL, etc. I have worked several places and inspect for AABB/CAP and have seen lot of different ways of doing this. Do any of you know of a site where I can get more detailed info on what is expected to be listed in this section???? Thanks much.

Do we even need to list the reagents, supplies, etc? CAP checklist doesn't have that has a requirement, only the "preparation" of materials used in the testing. And the Transusion Service Manual by Lucia Berte, which is a collection of templates for procedures, training, etc, doesn't have a list of reagents and supplies in any of procedure templates. Think of how much paper we could save if we didn't list absolutely everything at the beginning of a procedure.

Staff need to know what supplies and reagents, etc that are needed for testing. Right? We are regulated by CAP, AABB, The Joint Commission and FDA and most SOP formats around require that these be listed. No, there is no standard but this has been something that we all do so it seems that there should be consistency in how we list them. Our main laboratory's SOP format that we must use requires this section, but each of the individual labs do something just a little bit different so I was trying to see what other blood bankers are doing. Guess not many thoughts on this so far. Thanks.

Hi Bev,

We list under suppliers first, then name as per the reagent insert, including supplier codes. This list of essential reagents is required under ISO:15189 and Joint Commission have also looked for it. Also we make sure that there is an MSDS sheet for it in the MSDS Folder.

Cheers

Eoin