PEG Flocculation

Help! I have had several patients over the last few months that when I have added PEG to their plamsa it flocculates. What causes the flocculation? I read in the reagent package insert that increased number of immunoglobulins causes a gel to form (such as in multiple myeloma) but that was all that I could find. My searches on the internet have not come up with anything either. If anyone can help answer my question it would be really appreciated! :)

Thank You,

Tiffany MS MLS (ASCP)

I have always understood that if the patient has an increased protein of any kind you will see floculation when the PEG is added to the tube. This has given us problems sometimes after using the automatic cell washer because the cells can look sort of "kissy" due to the protein floculation. When we have patients whose plasma flocculates, we hand wash as opposed to using the automatic cell washer and the problem corrects itself. Not sure if you are having that problem when reading your final results, but that was just something we had noticed. Good luck in your search!

• 4 weeks later...

if you've started seeing flocs more frequently, try another lot.....we had a problem a few years ago with this and investigation showed the problem was lot specific and the flocculating vials had PEG at a higher concentration AND molecular weight than specified

Yanxia, PEG may precipitate plasma proteins, including fibrinogen. The Immucor package insert specifically warns that this may happen when testing with plasma, and you may need to perform extra washes before adding your antiglobulin reagent. Our experience is that we have better success at having our antiglobulin control cells work properly when using serum instead of plasma.