Name That Scientist

LisaM

Ok,

It's getting a little stale around here and I think we need some more mindless fun! :D

Similar to the Blood Bank Quiz thread, here you have to guess the scientist's name based on clues about that person, left by the previous poster, then leave your own clues for the next person to figure out the name of the scientist you have in mind. You can choose any scientist from any time period, living or passed on, any field of study, etc.--lots to pick from!

I'll start: This scientist was instrumental in the development of quantum mechanics and won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1954. He is also the grandfather of singer Olivia Newton John.

Ready? Name that scientist!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ok Malcolm are you going to put me out of my misery? I have spent the last few weeks with Mr Egg tying up the interweb with various search strings/ terms & conundrums!

Please, please tell him the answer!

No! The idea of the Egg and you suffering is too enjoyable!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, all right then.

It is Aurthur Ernest Mourant (known as "alf a mo" whdiscovery of the IAAT and DATen he was Director of the BGRL).

When he was at medical school his year voted him the person least likely to succeed in life; not bad for someone who was involved in the discovery of the IAT, the DAT, the Kell Blood Group System, anti-e, and the "Father of Blood Group Anthropology" - amongst many other things!

:nana::nana::nana::nana::nana:

Who was this Scientist ?

OK here's one. Aussies are not to reply.

His research on immune tolerance provided the experimental basis for developing methods of transplanting solid organs.

Cheers

Eoin

Oh go on Eoin; it'll give them something to do whilst they watch replays of the England/Australia rugby match at Twickenham recently, and whilst they are watching the Ashes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

Malcolm Malcolm - hitting below the belt -

Rugby - there's always the World Cup next year Malcolm - & be fair - we are rebuilding. And strangely after Adelaide I don't want to talk about the cricket.

Cheers

Eoin

PS Offline till next Mon - will post answer unless someone gets it and sorry Max Bryn is not the answer.

Malcolm Malcolm - hitting below the belt -

Rugby - there's always the World Cup next year Malcolm - & be fair - we are rebuilding. And strangely after Adelaide I don't want to talk about the cricket.

Cheers

Eoin

PS Offline till next Mon - will post answer unless someone gets it and sorry Max Bryn is not the answer.

I know, I know, but I just couldn't resist.

Pride, as they say, comes before a fall, and I would not be surprised to see England plummet at both sports!!!!!!!!

:handshake:handshake:handshake:handshake

Quite right Lisa M.

Sir (Frank) Macfarlane Burnet

Macfarlane was a brilliant Australian virologist and immunologist best known for his contributions to immunology. Burnet won the Nobel Prize for Medicine or Physiology in 1960 “for discovery of acquired immunological toleranceâ€.

He was a pioneer in the application of ecological principles to viral diseases and proposed two concepts in immunology-acquired immunological tolerance and the clone selection theory of antibody production, which explains how lymphocytes target antigens for destruction. His research on immune tolerance provided the experimental basis for developing methods of transplanting solid organs.

Another of his contempories was Gus (Gustav) Nossel.

Cheers

Eoin

Madame du Châtelet I believe - only one of Voltaires many lovers - but probably his favourite. They could converse re esoterical matters of interest of common interest to both of them in their quiet moments.

Oh La La

Eoin

"Carnal Filth" ???? LOL LOL! Oh yeah, scientists never partake in such activity, so they can fully concentrate on their areas of study! HAHAHAHAHA! (Who are you kidding, Malcolm?? He He!)

Anyway! We need another scientist to guess! Anyone up for some clues??

Born on 18.06.18 in Southport, Queensland, Australia, this scientist, who was a Fellow of the British Royal Society, amongst many other things, obtained a BSc in 1938 from the University of Sydney and a PhD in 1948 from London University.

This scientist wrote several editions of a famous book about blood groups with another scientist, until they decided that it would take more than two pencils to write another edition.

Who is he/she?

:confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse: