Impact of Pradaxa in the lab and Blood Bank

Mabel Adams

Can any of our Canadian or European colleagues share their experience with this anticoagulant that was just approved in the US to take the place of warfarin? Do they reverse the effects with plasma? How does it look on coag tests? Anything we need to know about it? I see that Xarelto and apixaban are also heading our way someday in the possibly near future.

Thanks for the links. No antidote, not reversible, doesn't completely clear for 7 days, Protime not sensitive enough but thrombin time is. Doesn't require monitoring like coumadin. Effective within a couple of hours of first dose. Bleeding risk increases with dose. Sounds like a Blood Banker's nightmare. Probably it will be expensive so that may help.

I can imagine someone coming in via the ED needing to go to surgery; they do usual coags (no TT) which are ok, then take him to surgery and he won't stop bleeding. Has anyone seen things like this where this has been in use awhile or am I doing a bit of Chicken Little here?

• 2 months later...