??? AB+ Subgroup with negative anti H

Desoki

When I did type and screen for two samples by gel card I found that

Sample 1: antiA +1 antiB +4 antiAB+4 antiD +4 control neg antiA1 neg antiH neg A1cell neg Bcell neg DAT neg antibody screen neg

Sample 2: antiA mixedfield antiB +4 antiAB+4 antiD +4 control neg A1cell neg Bcell neg DAT neg antibody screen neg

No relation between two samples but both are pregnant no history for diseases no history of blood transfusion for 6 months they came only for antenatal checkup.

I confused because of anti H negative so I repeated it with another lot number but the same result was founded.

I guess they are subgroup AB+ but the problem still with this negative anti H.

I want know if I have to do more tests, what is accurate blood group and what group should be taken if they need blood?

When I did type and screen for two samples by gel card I found that

Sample 1: antiA +1 antiB +4 antiAB+4 antiD +4 control neg antiA1 neg antiH neg A1cell neg Bcell neg DAT neg antibody screen neg

Sample 2: antiA mixedfield antiB +4 antiAB+4 antiD +4 control neg A1cell neg Bcell neg DAT neg antibody screen neg

No relation between two samples but both are pregnant no history for diseases no history of blood transfusion for 6 months they came only for antenatal checkup.

I confused because of anti H negative so I repeated it with another lot number but the same result was founded.

I guess they are subgroup AB+ but the problem still with this negative anti H.

I want know if I have to do more tests, what is accurate blood group and what group should be taken if they need blood?

I really wouldn't worry about it; this is not an unusual finding with an AB individual.

The H antigen on the red cell is formed by the addition of an L-fucose sugar residue onto the terminal D-galactose molecule, largely on a Type 2 carbohydrate backbone.

This allows the N-acetyl-D-galactosamine sugar residue that forms the A antigen, and the D-galactose sugar residue that forms the B antigen to bind to this (now) sub-terminal D-galactose.

How strong either the A antigen or the B antigen is expressed is determined by which of the two transferase enzymes is the more active (sometimes the A, and sometimes the B), and also on the genetically determined isoform of the transferase.

Either way, however, these sugar residues effectively "hide" the H antigen, by steric hinderance, from the anti-H; so much so that, quite often, the H antigen can only be detected by adsorption and elution studies.

These two patients are, from the findings you have given us, group AB, with a possible subgroup of A (but not necessarily - it could be that the B transferase is much more active than the A transferase).

There is, however, no reason why they should not be treated as straightforward group AB individuals for transfusion - and don't worry if they form anti-A1, unless the anti-A1 is shown to react STRICTLY at 37oC.

:D:D:D:D:D

My question is who routinely runs anti-H? That seems odd to me. We also do not routine run Anti-AB anymore, unless we have a discrepancy and are looking for more information. Those two tests being run on the routine typing seem to be wasting time and money. 9 times out of 10 running those without any other issue is not going to tell you anything more. Of those, I would run the AB first with a discrepancy. Just my thoughts on procedure.

Thanks Malcolm for that great explanation.

• 1 month later...

msdesoki, it is a very interesting post you give us.

I agree with LaraT and Malcolm that anti-AB is not use in those two case. My reason is that the B antigen is very strong(4+), so the anti-AB will give us 4+ reaction of course. I run anti-AB when the A or B is weaker than normal and the B or A is neg, in this condition I can find the different strength of reaction with anti-AB to detect the Ax and Bx subgroup.

In the two cases you subscribe, I will do the anti-H paralel with two tube of AB adult cells and two tube of B adult cells and two tube of O adult cells. In this test you can get the H antigen express level . But my view is as Malcolm, I don't think this is clinical significant to do the subgroup divid. But if we have time and reagent , it is interesting to do the test and have a look of the subgroup.

Sorry for my English, I hope you can understand my meaning, if not, please tell me and I will do my best to explain it.