Safe-T-Vue vs. Hemotemp

bevydawn

We have been following the old generalization that blood should be returned within 30 minutes in order for it to not be discarded but I am working to change that. I am debating between the Safe-t-Vue and the Hemotemp II to monitor the temperature of returned blood. Can anyone give me their opinions of either product? I am assuming since we do not send blood out in coolers that we would need to use the Safe-T-Vue 6 also, correct?

We also have a smaller sister hospital that we supply blood to and so I would assume when sending them products we would use the 1-10 rule and would then need the Safe-T-Vue 10? Currently we just pack blood in our blood supplier's boxes and follow their packaging recommendations.

Thanks for any input!

We use SafTVue 10 for units going to surgery in an ice chest. If you want to monitor units issued to nursing floors, you would probably want to use STV 10, because the standard is 1 to 10 degrees (transport). My personal experience with STV 10 is that the indicator will change on an RBC unit much sooner than 30 minutes at room temperature. Again, this would be an expensive proposition for each RBC issued routinely from the transfusion service.