Helmer freezer alarm checks

teskridge

:)

Can someone tell me if the automatic alarm test is sufficient for quarterly alarm checks? On our old freezer we would document internal, chart, and digital temperatures.

The automatic alarm check on our new Helmer freezer does not affect the chart movement or the internal temperature. Will we need to "remove the probe from the solution bottle" so we can document internal and chart temperature change, like we did before?

The automatic alarm check was one of the reasons we decided to get a Helmer freezer....I thought the "manual method" did not have to be performed.

Thanks for your help.

I do not believe the temperature of the probe acutally increases but only an electronic signal is generated that simulates a temperature increase/decrease. If there is an actual temperature increase/decrease but the probe itself is defective, a signal will not be sent and an alarm will not be received--resulting in potential loss of all products. The test should ensure the entire process is tested, i.e., warm/cool the probe and ensure appropriate actions occur including signaling alarms and changes to the temperature recording device(s).

You might want to set up whatever alarm-checking arrangement that makes you feel comfortable. (Then, if some inspector/assessor cites a problem with it, you can always make a change.)

We perform both the functional (ie: "warm up the probe") and electronic alarm checks before the freezer is put in service, then once a month until both fuction acceptably for three consecutive months. After that, we do the electronic alarm check quarterly, and do the funtional alarm check once a year.