Deferral for double-unit plt donation

Hello,

How often can a platelet apheresis donor donate:

• If he is a routine donor?
  • If he donates one concentrate?
  • If he donates a double concentrate?
  • If he donates a double concentrate and is a directed donor?

All the scenarios are given that the donor's platelet count pre-donation is

> 150,000.

Thanks

Liz :)

Hi Liz,

As a frequent donor of platelets, here is my experience. If you donate a singe or double apheresis unit, you are eligible to donate again in 14 days. If you donate a red cell product along with a platelet, you are deferred for 56 days, just as if you donated red cells only. In special circumstances, donor centers can waive the 14 day rule if they are requesting that the donor give an HLA-matched product, as long as the donor passes other eligibility requirements, such as HGB>12.5. Hope that helps!

Terry aka BB in VA

Thanks Terry,

- Have you ever had an HLA-matched donor donate every 3 days with a pre-donation plat count > 150,000? for a total of less than 12 donations.

- We dont worry too much about the Hgb result when performing plt apheresis.

Liz

WOW - That's a lot of platelets to donate. They must be a very dedicated donor. In my experience, I haven't seen that many donations in such a short time frame, but I guest anything is possible, especially with a rare HLA type. My donor center doesn't allow donations when a donor has a low hemoglobin. I personally have donated 3x in a week for a special needs patient. After that, I needed a break.

Are you asking for personal or professional reasons?

Terry

Hi Liz,

According to the FDA Guidance for Industry "Collection of Platelets by Automated Methods" December 2007; a donor should undergo no more than 24 Platelet, pheresis collections in a rolling 12-month period.

In addition, the interval between each collection of Platelet via apheresis should be at least two days with no more than two procedures in a seven day period.

The interval between the collection of a double or triple platelet donation and any subsequent collection of platelets should be at least 7 days.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Your medical director, being allowed to "practice" medicine, can allow the donor to donate more frequently if he/she can back it up as "medical necessity" (i.e. your HLA-matched donor).

Yes, that is right the Medical Director can over-ride a policy only if justified and documented.

Thanks,

Liz