New AABB standard 1.5

merky125

Can anyone help me with a procedure for this new standard? Communication of Concern, 1.5. We have always been able to skim by, stating that since we are a federal hospital the NO FEAR act applies to us and the whole whistblower safety thing that is in our safety fair. But I don't believe that is going to work this time. Our CAP/AABB inspection is fast approaching and I would like to get a procedure in the books.

Thanks

Heather

Our policy is multi-level: Supervisor, Manager/Director, HR, outside third-party. Same policy for safety concerns, corporate compliance, etc.

During an inspection, I ask a tech about a hypothetical situation, just to see if it has been properly communicated. Interestingly, techs always feel comfortable taking concerns to Manager/Director.

I agree with Lcsmrz but when inspector ask question to our tech now with std. 1.5 what they are looking for is do they have phone numbers where they can report any concerns without fear. When my tech. gave answer , "will ask my supervisor", she was asked 2nd question, what if you do not want to tell your supervisor...In the nut shell I educated my techs to say supervisor then executive management/compliance then CAP or AABB hotline number.

At this time if you do not post AABB hotline number you are OK but New standard draft requires that all of us post AABB hotline number.

Here is the wording of the proposed standard.

1.5 Communication of Concerns

The blood bank or transfusion service shall have a process for personnel to

anonymously communicate concerns about quality or safety. Personnel shall be given the option to

communicate such concerns either to executive management, AABB or both.

AABB’s contact information shall be readily available to all personnel.

Standards 6.1.5 and 9.1 apply.

Standard 1.5 has been edited for clarity. Standard 1.5 was initially included as a new

standard in the 26th edition for consistency with CLIA. However, the way the standard

was originally written caused some confusion. As a result, the second sentence of the

standard now clearly articulates that employees must be told that they can communicate

concerns to either executive management or AABB or both. The third sentence is also

new and was added at the request of AABB’s Accreditation Department. While the

standard does not require use of a specific vehicle for the communication of AABB

contact information, the sentence creates a requirement that can be more easily

evaluated by an assessor.

We have a hotline for anonymous reporting to Hospital management. We have posted the AABB number in the department. We also have CAP's contact information and JC's information posted. No one should be able to say they could not figure out who to call. We train the staff that we prefer for them to tell their manager. If they don't feel they can approach someone in management, we ask them to use the hospital hotline first to allow the hospital a chance to handle the situation before it goes to an outside agency. Then, if they feel it has not been handled, the numbers for all the outside agencies are easily available.