Just For Fun--Blood Bank Quiz Game!

LisaM

Human urine is okay, but guinea-pig urine is even better. Collecting the guinea-pig urine is the problem!

I always wondered what would be harder, catheterizing the guinea-pigs or training them to pee in those little cups!

Love it!

Of course, the guinea pig urine should, really, inhibit antibodies within the Glob Blood Group System!

:D:D:D:D:D

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, now for a really difficult one.

If you read all the textbooks, you will know that no two low incidence KEL genes have ever been found in the cis position. So, for example, the K gene has never been known to have been passed on with the JSA gene by the same parent.

This is now known to be no longer true.

What 2 low-incidence KEL genes have now been found that have been passed on in the cis position, and what was the reference of the paper?

Clue: The paper was recently in Transfusion, but I'm not going to tell you which one (yet).

:devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

You are sort of correct LisaM, but Ajac is absolutely correct.

The reference is;

Kormoczi GF, Scharberg EA, Gassner C. A novel KEL*1,3 allele with weak Kell antigen expression confirming the cic-modifier effect of KEL3. Transfusion 2009; 49: 733-739.

This goes to show how the memory fades with age; I thought the paper was a lot more recent than that!

Right, over to you for a question Ajac!

Edited by Malcolm Needs
Guess what - poor spelling!

hi

Is it HLA-DRB1*11 and HLA DRB1*13, not sure why though, all I have is that the combined frequency was found to be 83% in immunised K patients and 52% in healthy controls?

tricia

Absolutely correct tricia (and that was a hard one).

The reference is;

Chiaoni J, Dettori I, Ferrera V, Legrand D, Touinssi M, Mercier P, de Micco P, Reviron D. HLA-DRB1 polymorphism is associated with Kell immunisation. Brit J Haematol 2005; 132: 374-378.

Right, over to you for another question.

Thanks Malcolm - maybe I have learned something in the course of my studying!!!

Okay - dont know if this is any easy question or not but here goes...

which 2 blood group glycoproteins have enzymatic activity and what do they do?

tricia

Thanks Malcolm - maybe I have learned something in the course of my studying!!!

Okay - dont know if this is any easy question or not but here goes...

which 2 blood group glycoproteins have enzymatic activity and what do they do?

tricia

1. Cartwright (Yt) is acetylcholinesterase.

2. Kell (K) is a zinc-dependent endopeptidase

3. Dombrock (Do) is an ADP-ribosyltransferase.

which parasite's geographic distribution is believed to account for the geographic variation in the distribution of the RhD negative allele?

I think this is it!!

Novotna M, Havlicek J, Smith AP, Kolbekova P, Skallova A, Klose A, Gasova Z, Pisacka M, Sechovska M, Flegr J (2008). "Toxoplasma and reaction time: Role of toxoplasmosis in the origin, preservation and geographical distribution of Rh blood group polymorphism"

Still trying to figure out a question to post. :)

I think this is it!!

Novotna M, Havlicek J, Smith AP, Kolbekova P, Skallova A, Klose A, Gasova Z, Pisacka M, Sechovska M, Flegr J (2008). "Toxoplasma and reaction time: Role of toxoplasmosis in the origin, preservation and geographical distribution of Rh blood group polymorphism"

yep!!! you got it! Toxoplasma gondii.

I think this is it!!

I hate to be a pain, but I'm not entirely sure I agree with the question, let alone the answer! I'm not in a position to explain why right now (have to get on the road as my mother-in-law is going into a respite home today after a stay in hospital), but will explain why ASAP.

:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

I hate to be a pain, but I'm not entirely sure I agree with the question, let alone the answer! I'm not in a position to explain why right now (have to get on the road as my mother-in-law is going into a respite home today after a stay in hospital), but will explain why ASAP.

:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

I thought that current thought of geographic distribution of RhD = alleles was more related to genetic drift and migration of people (Africa/Basque region). Interesting reading on this and other disease relationships by David Anstee-"The Relationship between blood groups and disease", Blood,10 June 2010, Volume 115, Number 23

Edited by Ajac
spelling

I thought that current thought of geographic distribution of RhD = alleles was more related to genetic drift and migration of people (Africa/Basque region). Interesting reading on this and other disease relationships by David Anstee-"The Relationship between blood groups and disease", Blood,10 June 2010, Volume 115, Number 23

Yep, that was one of the sources I was going to quote. Dave sent me a lovely slide showing the way the D Negative peoples from the Basque Region mixed with the D Positive peoples from the African Region (all to do with Neolithic and Paleolithic inter-breeding). He has given me permission to use it in a lecture, so I'll try to post it when I get to work tomorrow (if I get time - today was just horrendous - in fact, this week has been horrendous - amongst other things, trying t organise a couple of units of Gy(a-) blood to cover a childbirth). I digress, but Dave knows a thing or two about Rh (amongst most/all other blood groups)!

:):):):):)

i've got the paper and from what i can tell the argument is on whether or not the distributions seen are dependent upon some kind of balancing selection or not. basically, it seems to me it depends on which flavor of math one subscribes to.......interesting stuff for the Sunday Philosophy Club to fuss about but no camps' claims are anything i'd bet the barn on. i don't think any of it will impact day-to-day bloodbanking any time soon. just an opinion. points to anyone who catches my obscure "literary" reference. :)

Got a question to post:

Which antigen is associated with the development of peptic ulcers and stomach cancer?

Le(B) is a ligand for certain strains of Helicobacter pylori, a Gram-negative bacterium which is associated with development of gastritis, gastric and duodenal ulcers and adenocarcinoma, but group A individuals are prone to gastric cancer and peptic ulcers.

I'm group A, Le(b+).

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

How can cord blood be used to distinguish between an apparent anti-D and an apparent anti-LW?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: