calling stats

mawomack

Our old transfusion therapy policy says we are to call all stats? We recently were disciplined because one tech at one campus did not call on a stat platelet order. do you call all stats? XM orders only? component orders?

Do you call when you issue blood through the pneumatic tube system?

Thanks,

Mary Ann at Florida Hospital

We call all STATs. I can't be expecting an RN taking care of a critical patient to be checking the computer to see if the component is ready. Actually, I call whenever I have a blood product ready if it is to be given the same day. And we only tube to a few locations, so if I am tubing it I always call so they are waiting for it and it doesn't sit in the tube station.

We also call all stats. We do not call when sending blood via p-tube. Our process requires a Blood Request slip p-tubed from the floor with patient identifiers, and the tube station to send the product. We do our clerical check against that and send the blood. That Request slip needs to come back to us to verify receipt of the product. If it's not back in 10 minutes, we call to track down if the blood actually made it to the correct station.

We do NOT call all STATS. Our LIS prints STAT results on the nursing unit as soon as they are resulted. When the clerk gets the printout then they know blood is ready. No other section in our lab calls STAT results for the same reason. They only call if they have a critical (life threatening) result. Besides, frequently our orders are for STAT testing but not necessarily STAT transfusion i.e. pt going to surgery and they want blood available for surgery if needed. Nursing of course can request that we call as soon as blood is available.

For short expiration product i.e. pooled platelets we DO call as soon as we have them ready and, if they don't want them sent immediately, we give them the expiration time,

When we use the tube system to send blood we ALWAYS call the pt's nurse or the nursing unit it is being sent to. Who we notified is then documented in the LIS as part of the issuing information in case of any problems or questions later. Creates a permanent record without having to save a lot of paper files.

We call to notify the floor when a product is ready. And with short date products and FFP we have been accused of nagging. That said, we require an order to transfuse before we will thaw plasma. Unfortunately there are times when the ER orders FFP, then the attending doesn't want it given.