Non-BB Help Needed!

krichards

I was recently "awarded" our Microbiology department in addition to my BB duties.:eyepoppin I have not done more than plate cultures since school. To top it off, I began maternity leave just a couple of weeks later. Now, I am 4 months behind in 2 departments, and still have very little idea what I am doing in Micro.

Does anyone know if there are any sites similar to this for Micro? Or if there are any other similar resources out there than can help me get up to speed and get questions answered fast? Needless to say, I need all the help I can get!!

Karen

:work:

Congratulations! (I think??) Wow, what a challenge! You know, if you work twice as hard, you will probably be able to get twice as far behind in half the time, right?

I will ask some of my Microbiology associates for help/advice, and I will pass any useful into on to you, Karen. (It sounds like you don't have any current Micro employees that can help you along much? That's too bad.)

Tell me alittle about your microbiology staff. Are they as good at what they do as your blood bankers? I inherited the Microbiology department in my previous life to go along with my Transfusion Service duties. The micro staff was excellent and I was able to delegate a number of responsibilities back to them. My primary responsibility was to make sure things got done and they had the tools to do them. I acted as a buffer between them and the world which allowed them to do their jobs unmolested and the work got done at the highest level.

Are you expected to work the bench right along side them and be the expert in all things Micro? If so you certainly have my condolences. Use your staff. Make them part of any decisions. Let them be the experts. If you let them, they can make your job much easier. I knew I could not become an expert Microbiologist so I didn't even try and my first degree is a BS in Microbiology but I was a reasonably decent supervisor and that's what was needed.

Good Luck.

:clap::clap:

Thank you all for your input.

I have an exceptional Micro staff, and they have been extraordinarily helpful in covering my deficiencies and general lack of knowledge. With two exceptions, they have all been with us for over 20 years. I am relying on them heavily for any and all input. It is, however, embarrassing that I cannot answer a simple phone call without having to run back and get a quick lesson in order to provide even the briefest of answers. Hopefully, that will improve with time.

My primary problems lie with the rules and regs (they can only tell me what we are currently doing), and in "updating" some of our processes. I've already had 2 vendors tell me that we are holding some of our cultures longer than anyone else. With 2/3 of the staff eligible to retire, I need to start finding more streamlined processes to help the techs when we have to start running with fewer and/or less experienced staff. Unfortunately, they're going to fight me on any and all changes, but I am responsible looking at the bigger picture, and have no intention of implementing anything that will not, ultimately, make all their lives easier.

John - Your advice was wonderful. It is apparent that the term "reasonably decent supervisor" is way too modest!

krichards - Wow! What great insight! It is obvious that you are one smart cookie who was "chosen" for the extra responsibilities for the right reasons. Something tells me that you are going to earn a lot of respect and support and do very well. I can't top John's advice, but I might add that networking with Microbiology Supervisors (or people like John!) at other institutions might be helpful to you.

I will second the networking idea. Another place to look will be the local College or University if one is available and if they have a Clinical Laboratory Sciences program. Most of them really do try to stay current and I've found them to be more than happy to share their knowledge informally. I am not suggesting enrolling in calsses, you won't have time but they should be able to answer questions and provide resources for you.

Again, good luck and if you do find any really good resources please share them. With the way things are currently going more and more of us will be wearing multiple hats.

L106 now you've got me blushing.

:faint:

Remember, managers get things done through people. John's advice is rock solid, let them take the Micro ball and run with it.

Trust their judgement, ask their input before implementing changes and remember that 50% of them will love you and 50% of them will not and at the end of the day you will have always done what is best for the pt.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been awhile. http://www.labce.com/ has been good for basic continued ed online.

If you haven't already, keep in touch with your Infectious Disease team at your facility.

Read up on what are state reportables for your area.

Sounds like you are in great hands with some really good micro folks in your dept.

Good luck!