Immucor Echo validation

jfry

HI all. we are about to validate the echo as an IRL since so many of our customers use it. We will continue to test by tube as we know it best, but sometimes we need to see what others are seeing that we are not in tube. I am looking to set our concordance testing criteria and was wondering what others who have already validated have observed in their testing. I thought this might be quicker than calling around. I am specifically looking to see correlations regarding antibody id.

any response would be greatly appreciated.

I can offer the following comments based on our experience:

1. We have found a couple Rh antibodies on the Echo that were not detectable using PeG/tube technique

2. Warm Auto-Antibodies usually react stronger on the Echo than in tubes (ie: tube testing may even be Neg

3. Many times the Echo will not detect a Cold Auto-Antibody that is showing up with PeG/tube technique, however, once in a while a Cold Auto-Antibody will react on the Echo but not in tube testing

HI all. we are about to validate the echo as an IRL since so many of our customers use it. We will continue to test by tube as we know it best, but sometimes we need to see what others are seeing that we are not in tube. I am looking to set our concordance testing criteria and was wondering what others who have already validated have observed in their testing. I thought this might be quicker than calling around. I am specifically looking to see correlations regarding antibody id.

any response would be greatly appreciated.

"We will continue to test by tube as we know it best,"

I find this a very interesting statement. Can you tell me what you base this statement on?

:wow:

Our back-up method is gel for ABID. When we performed our validation testing, we did not find clinically significant antibodies on the ECHO that manual gel did not, however, we did find less cold antibodies, Lewis Abs, anti-M's, and many fewer Anti-D's from RhIg prophylaxsis. We have also picked up warm autos on the ECHO that had negative ABSC in gel and in LISS/tube. Immucor's current Ready-ID panel is making us a little crazy with the Bg pos cell on the panel also being Cw pos and Kpa pos, but other than this, we have been very happy with our ECHO and the techs like it very much.

We are finding the Echo to be very sensitive to Kidd antibodies. Just recently we had a patient test negative in tube/PEG but who had a 3-4+ anti-Jk(a) on the Echo. This is not the first time, just the most recent.