Will I be disqualified?

First off sorry if this is the wrong section (Or if this site doesn't have a section for uneducated donors, lol).

So I decided I wanted to donate blood not too long ago. I am 18 years old and weigh around ~170. I have no sexual/drug experience to exclude me (or anything else that I can think of), but my father had Hepatitis C and died from resulting complications around 6 years ago.

So my question is this: Will that disqualify me?

Keep in mind that supposedly he had the hep c before I was conceived. My mom doesn't have it (as far as I know...) and I've been to the doctor numerous times for regular check ups and stuff like that over the course of my entire life. So it seems like if I really had the disease it would have been detected by now...

Comments? :confused:

First off sorry if this is the wrong section (Or if this site doesn't have a section for uneducated donors, lol).

So I decided I wanted to donate blood not too long ago. I am 18 years old and weigh around ~170. I have no sexual/drug experience to exclude me (or anything else that I can think of), but my father had Hepatitis C and died from resulting complications around 6 years ago.

So my question is this: Will that disqualify me?

Keep in mind that supposedly he had the hep c before I was conceived. My mom doesn't have it (as far as I know...) and I've been to the doctor numerous times for regular check ups and stuff like that over the course of my entire life. So it seems like if I really had the disease it would have been detected by now...

Comments? :confused:

I can't see any reason why this should disqualify you from donating blood, but in any case, a sample from each and every donation is tested for a range of various infections that can, potentially, be transmitted by transfusion and so, in the very unlikely event that you carry the hepatitis C virus, you can rest assured that if you do go ahead and donate your blood, no recipient will be harmed.

The world of Blood Transfusion (and the patients of course) rely on marvelous individuals, such as yourself, who are willing to give time and blood to help others, and I for one would encourage you to go ahead, and thank you in advance for your altruism.

:D:D:D

From my previous work in the area of Andrology I can tell you for certain that there is no viral load from Hepatitis C in semen. Therefore even if your father HAD hepatitis C when you were conceived, it would not have been transmissable to you.

• 1 month later...