Electronic temperature monitoring

adiescast

Do you continue to use graphs on your blood bank storage devices even though you have a centralized   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you continue to use graphs on your blood bank storage devices even though you have a centralized

• Yes we use them 24/7/365.
    • Yes, but only when the computer system is down.
    • No, we do not use them.

At my previous lab we kept the charts, but that was only because the system was new. Once you have confidence in the monitoring sysytem what is the point in monitoring using charts as well ?

The electronic system data must be held/ backed up and be secured. You could print off a daily list of temperature excursions that you review, and possibly show evidence of weekly review of your electronic data.

We are meant to be leaning our processes by using technology- not complicating these and creating even more work!

I agree. Continuing to keep the charts is a technological step backwards. Electronically backing up data as well as electronically reviewing is a positive step. In my experience, however, we've experienced individual sensor failures. With the need for continuous monitoring, a good contingency plan is critical. I'd be interested in your plan as a matter of comparison. We are always looking for best practices!

Thanks!

Barney

Dear All,

I think, the best way to ensure data collection, especially when some sensors fail, is, to have a

backup. Good S.O.P. 's are always important ??!!

With wireless sensors, it is always easy, to have some spare sensors that are calibrated, installed in

the software, but not physically installed in the equipment.

With wired sensors this is a bit complicated, since they have to be re-calibrated when a defective probe

has been replaced.

When a wireless sensor fails, temporarily install the spare probe, inhibit the defective sensor, and fill out the comment, that spare sensor "X" is monitoring equipment "Y" due to defective sensor "?".

Another option is very nice as well, especially as backup for wired sensors.

I have been testing some "USB Loggers".

This is a small logger, that looks like a memory stick, has a small display, and logs temperature

within ± 0.3°C. Logging rate can be set from once p. minute up. For fridge/freezer or ultra low.

When removed from the fridge, it can be connected to the usb bus on any p.c. or laptop, and you will be able to print a pdf with graph or readings over the time you want.

Add the printout to the data from that particular fridge, and you will make auditors happy......again.

This is also a nice device to use for transport-coolers.

Hope this is of help again..... in simple Dutch to English,

• 3 weeks later...

We use a monitored system where the probes are calibrated regularly (internally and externally). Each fridge/freezer also has a calibrated thermometer in it as a back-up so that if the system goes down we revert to manual temperature taking. And we carry spare probes (also calibrated) in case the probe fails. All other means of recording temps are not installed anymore or disabled. The monitoring system also has multiple alarm levels and can page relevant staff via mobile (cell) phones.

Dear dherbert.

If you have spare probes for your monitoring system ( I presume wireless), you could write an

S.O.P. , how a non technical employee, could insert the probe, to continue monitoring the device, in

case a probe goes bad.

( Spare probe "X" inserted in fridge "Y" at time "Z", at same location as existing defective probe. Insert

probe lead through door-seal, and set alarm limits correctly. Write comment in software ( CFR 21/11) )

Later, a technician can install the probe properly, and re-programme it to the correct settings.

At least, there is proof of correct monitoring.

In most wired monitoring systems, you cannot just change the probe, since it needs to be calibrated

to the hard and software of the system as well.

When you have a wireless system, you can have several calibrated spare transmitters, with probes programmed in the system, on "standby", to replace the defective transmitter including probe.

You cannot swap the probe on the transmitter, since this will void the calibration.

In regards to standard thermometers, I can only say, that, to my opinion, these are useless.

If the reading from the thermometer is taken with an interval of "say", 4 hours,

It is always possible, that the fridge has been out of limit for extended time, without somebody knowing.

This usually happens when somebody does not close the door properly, and the next person that enters

the fridge say, 3 hours later, does close it firmly. When the reading of the thermometer is then taken, the

temperature looks fine, but in fact, your samples could be ruined.

A small logger could be an alternative, but a spare wireless probe will save you a lot of paperwork, since everything will be dokumented in the systems log.

Hope, again, that this is of any help. Marc

• 4 weeks later...

My blood center has gotten rid of all the charts except for the one or two devices that are not connected to the monitoring system. Those are at a satellite facility that we are either not allowed to hook up or just haven't got to it yet.