Contracted Apheresis and Phlebotomy

GilTphoto

We have a mobile Apheresis service that performs both plasma pheresis and therapeutic phlebotomy for our hospital.

The Blood Bank keeps a record of their professional and occupational licenses, the contract to perform the services, and their procedures (including performing, care of the patient during and after procedures, and record retention)

My question: Does the Transfusion Service have to review those procedures annually, as we do our own procedures, or should I ask for copies of their review annually? Are they required to review annually?

My question is directed at US hospitals. Any CAP or AABB, or AHCA, JCAHO requirements related to this?

Thanks, Gil

I think this falls under vendor qualification (Section 4 Supplier and Customer Issues for the AABB Standards). Do you review your blood supplier's procedures annually or obtain evidence of that review by their staff?

I don't think CAP has anything more specific than you should have contracts that specify who is responsible for what. I don't know the JC standards on this issue.

We are in the process of outsourcing apheresis. I have been told that to meet a JCAHO requirement, I have to submit a monthly quality report to the hospital Vice President in charge of outsourced services documenting if the vendor is meeting defined expectations.