Recalls logging

RR1

Has anyone combined their system for logging Recalls onto their non-conformance/ deviation forms?

I currently have a separate form for logging my recalls/ quarantined items, that feeds into my deviation system- but this makes an additional piece of paperwork to complete.

I would like to simplify the system and was wondering if anyone has a form like this.

Many thanks!

Isn't it amazing that, now we live in the paperless society, forms to do with Heath and Safety and with Quality (both essential parts of our work in the right place) have expanded in number exponentially and, what is more, since society has become more litigious, and the blamefree culture has been introduced, the versions of each document seem to change on almost a weekly basis?

Just an observation.

What happened to the time when people took responsibility for their own and other's health and safety, it was accepted that accidents happen and that blame was proportionate?

:angered::angered::angered:

Edited by Malcolm Needs

I know what you mean....but I still love this quality stuff, might not be brilliant at it and finding things difficult- but having fun now too.

It seems a very strange juxtaposition having "quality" and "fun" in the same sentence.

I do not wish to cast aspersions (you know me much better than that Rashmi) but you do know that you can now self-refer to Occupational Health?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What happened to the time when people took responsibility for their own and other's health and safety, it was accepted that accidents happen and that blame was proportionate?

:angered::angered::angered:

The trouble was that the same old problems kept resurfacing- we never really dealt with lab problems properly and have been 'fire-fighting' all these years instead. This is why regulation has been difficult- we're being taught by the MHRA the correct way to solve, record and learn from our 'accidents'.

I think I meant that I am enjoying the challenge of trying to establish quality aspects.

Edited by RR1

Sorry Malcolm, but there are a few of us Quality ites who actually love what we are doing despite the odds!!! but maybe it's because we can see real change benefiting departments, and i have spent years previously trying unsuccesfully to get changes in place before I had the authority of a quality role, call me deranged if you like but the grass on this side of the fence is much nicer than the other! ;-)

Sorry Malcolm, but there are a few of us Quality ites who actually love what we are doing despite the odds!!! but maybe it's because we can see real change benefiting departments, and i have spent years previously trying unsuccesfully to get changes in place before I had the authority of a quality role, call me deranged if you like but the grass on this side of the fence is much nicer than the other! ;-)

I agree with what you say actually bmsjbatt. The vast majority of what I was saying in my posts was just joshing with Rashmi!

I do agree wholeheartedly that the introduction of a formal Quality System into Blood Transfusion has improved things beyond the imagination of many of us who have worked in the field for (too?) many years, and those that have made this possible should be loudly applauded.

I do, however, still have some reservations, such as when someone who knows precisely nothing about blood group serology, for example, comes into the Laboratory and states, with the power so to do, that we must change this or change that, without bothering to find out why the process is performed in the way it is done, and why it would be difficult/impossible to change without causing harm to the very patient we are trying to help.

My other grouch is that some of the paperwork, particularly for Change Control, can be unnecessarily complicated.

On the whole though, I do agree with what you have said.

I do not think all quality people deranged (far from it); Rashmi, on the other hand..............................

:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks Jo (I think!!).......he is a bit strange, but we're all very fond of him anyway, and we all get a good laugh from his teasing!!!

And back to the 'recalls' business....anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

Edited by RR1

Thanks Jo (I think!!).......he is a bit strange, but we're all very fond of him anyway, and we all get a good laugh from his teasing!!!

And back to the 'recalls' business....anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

Hmmmm! That's better than normal Rashmi. You usually leave out the "a bit" part of the phrase and substitute the word "very"!

:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

• 2 months later...

We currenty have a separate form for recalls/market withdrawals vs. events ("non-conformances"). I also have separate forms for lookback, employee injury/safety problems. Sample problems are actually captured by the specimen center, so I don't track those separately. Customer complaints from other hospital areas are also handled separately.

I haven't figured out how to get my event reporting system under control. I get everything from complaints about behavior through actual non-conformances. The tidal wave is overwhelming and not a very efficient way of capturing what really matters. It is also very manual. I haven't been able to sell the hospital on purchasing CAPA software. I use a MS Access daatabase I designed myself to enter the information I am given from the staff. My forms are OK, but my process for summarizing/tracking/trending could use some work.

The attached Excel file "Investigation" includes my forms for medical record review for patients who have positive tests for diseases that could be transmitted by transfusion (first worksheet), reporting adverse reactions in transfused patients (second worksheet), and investigation of recalls/market withdrawals (third worksheet).

The second file is my event reporting form. The first page is completed by the person reporting the event and the second page is for investigation and followup.

Investigation.xls

Event form.xls