type and screen

Cornelia Kuehn

hi

just a question from my side - we do not perform the type and screen test here in Germany so I am not shure as I am right informed . Type and screen means you perform from a patient a ABO and an antibodysreen at the same time . If this patient will get 3 times a week a donation you`ll repeat this procedere 3 times- do I understand this correctly ??

thanks for your answers

Hi Cornelia

The type and screen means that you carry out a group and antibody screen on the patient. Usually this is valid for 72 hours. The antigens present in the screening cells (including which antigens have to be present in the homozygous form) are defined on a country-wide basis - not neccessarily the same for every country. Most countries require two separate, concordant, groups carried out on two seperate samples; some countries also require that the donor group is checked (just A-B-D) within the lab; some require a 'bedside test' - some with A, B and D; others just A and B; and others do an immediate spin crossmatch to rule out ABO incomatibility . I think I'm right in saying that all countries would still carry out a cross-match (verträglichkeitsprobe) if clinically significant antibodies were present - some labs would extend that to any antibody being present. Obviously a thorough check on full name and supplementary identifier is essential. Did I hear someone use the word 'standardisation'?????

If I have a patient being transfused 3x/week - it depends. If they are an in patient (admitted and staying in the hospital), I will use the same specimen for 3 days for transfusion purposes. If they are being transfused on an outpatient basis, I will probably require a separate specimen for each encounter, since they are discharged between events. BUT, now you are making me think about this a little harder. I still like to lean on the side of caution when dealing with transfusion events, so probably will not alter my procedure, but it is food for thought. I am in the USA.

Davif

thanks for your reply. Here in Germany we do the procedure as followed. ABO+ Screen from a patient. If the screen is negative and the patient needs a transfusion we make a x-match ( not electronic ) The x-matched donations are 72 hours valid. if the patient hasn`t get the x-matched donations within the 72 hours you have to match them again. But we use every time a new sample from the patient.

Cornelia