Quality and Performance Indicators

Also transfusion reactions rate, physician order and consent to transfuse documented for patients who are transfused, administration audit (proper procedure followed for blood administration), wastage of other (non-red cell)blood products, supplier ability to meet blood needs (can be measured as orders not filled or procedures cancelled due to blood products not available).

Much of the above are external indicators. They have value but splitting external vs internal wastage is a good thing. Inaccurate results reported. Turn around times. QC and Maintenance review. Reagent wastage rates. Your indicators need to include things YOU can impact, too.

I agree with all of the above, there are others that can/should be used too. Not in any particular order these include:

• complaints/compliments from your users (fully knowing that individuals tend to complain much more readily than give compliments).

• Number of hours spent/receiving training and education (both internal and external).

• Number of Health and Safety incidents (including near misses).

• Number of internal staff grievances.

• Number of open non-compliances with your licencing people (FDA or whoever). NOT the number of non-compliances (we all get those), but the number that are still open after a reasonable time.

• Number of outstanding annual appraisals.

• Variance on budget (over or under spend).

• Number of days sickness taken by staff (short term, rather than long term).

• Costs per activity.

Many of these will "measure" staff satisfaction within your department, which is as important, if not more so, than the satisfaction of staff outside your department, because, from their point of view you will not get 10/10 in a top box survey, otherwise they think you have no room for improvement.

Good Lord, I've just re-read this lot, and there is a lot of work involved. Try a few to begin with and work your way up!

:D

Thanks to you all, I live and work in the UK, and I am looking to beef up my QI/ PI for CPA and MHRA (when they come!) It looks like I am heading in the right direction, thank you Malcolm, I know that you are UK based too. I am a Haematology / Biochemistry and Transfusion Quality Manager, and having recently had a CPA clearance visit, I am told that I need to have more separation between my QI and PI. I am really keen to get this right, and the more ideas the better! Thanks!