Tube QC

ssylte

In our blood bank we run quick types on patients to expedite their crossmatch. So, by the time the blood is done spinning we have units ready to put on the Provue along with the patient. We don't run QC for the tube method. Should we be? If so, could anyone out there help me????

Thanks,

Sandra

If you tag the units or issue the blood before the Provue results are available, then yes QC must be done. If you ALWAYS wait for Provue results before tagging or issue of units, then it would not be necessary.

If you tag the units or issue the blood before the Provue results are available, then yes QC must be done. If you ALWAYS wait for Provue results before tagging or issue of units, then it would not be necessary.

I'd go along with that, but the wait for the Provue results is absolutely vital if you don't control your tubes.

:)

I agree with what Bill said. (So, in essence, you are QC'ing your tube method when you compare the results with the ProVue results (and they agree.) However, I would go one more step......Do you document it? (ie: Could you show an inspector that the tube results match the ProVue results on each day that you did tube testing?)

Donna

Daily QC of ABO reagents is not required, since the results of the forward and reverse serve as their own check of each other. I probably wouldn't do it either, although it is an added cost.

If you use the reagents for any other purpose, through, QC should be documented.

I would say yes. You need to do tube QC using positve and negative controls such as O neg and AB POS or Aneg and B Pos control specimens.

I agree that you most certainly would if you were using the tube technique as the "only line of attack", but if you are using it in conjunction with Provue, and always wait for the Provue results before issuing the blood, then you are using the tube technique as nothing more than a screen (and an aide to putting up units of the correct group at the same time as performing the Provue group and screen) and, therefore, the need for controls each time is negated.

Mind you, what happens when there is a discrepancy between the two (tube group and Provue group) would be interesting!

:)

Daily QC of ABO reagents is not required, since the results of the forward and reverse serve as their own check of each other. I probably wouldn't do it either, although it is an added cost.QUOTE]

In New York State, daily QC of ABO reagents IS REQUIRED when patient results are reported by that method.

You should QC the tube reagents "each day of use". We do the same as you, do a quick tube while the T&S&XM is on the Provue.

We label 2 sets of 3 tubes (6 tubes total) for anti-A, B, D and add 1 drop antisera to each tube. We have an Oneg and ABpos pt we use for the pos and neg controls. We use the MR# as the lot number and they expire 2 weeks from the day we put them into service.

Make a 3% suspension of each pt, add the Oneg pt to one row of tubes, the ABpos pt to the other row of tubes, spin read, voila done! Takes all of 5 minutes to do, evenings does it every shift.