A1 or A2???

In my lab this morning we have a new donor from Kenya.To a new donor we determine the subgroup if the group is A.I have done the group and the subgroup with Galileo and the results are:

-group AB

-subgroup NTD (not determinated) negative reaction with anti-A1 and ANTI-H.

I have done the subgroup with DIAMED cards: 50 microl. of red cells and 25 microl. of anti-A1 and anti-H,10 minutes at room temperature and 15 minutes centrifugation.

The same results..negative reactions..

I have done it in tube: 2 drops of anti-A1 and ANTI-H and 1 drop of red cells, 10 minutes at room temperature and 1 minute centrifugation.

The same results ...I have left the tubes at room temperature for abut 1 hour and then I have looked at the reactions ..under a microscope the reaction with the anti-H was positive.I left the tubes at 4°C for about 15 minutes and under a microscope the reaction wiyh anti-H was a little bit much positive...

Is it correct to say that the new donor is a A2B subgroup?Muchas gracias :)

Not necessarily, but it is as good as any!

It could be an AbantuB, or an AintB, but does it really matter? The point is, it is A1 Negative, and so it can be safely given to an A2B recipient (as can A1B blood, unless there is an anti-A1 reacting strictly at 37oC in the recipient's plasma).

There is an awful lot of fuss made about A subgroups (in my opinion) and most of the differences are purely esoteric (except in extremely rare cases of real anti-A1 reacting strictly at 37oC).

:(

I agree with Malcolm that it's not necessary but it definitely is NOT an A1B. I don't think it's an AintB though - that would come up positive with anti-A1; and an AbantuB would give much weaker results with anti-A. I would go for a boring old A2B - the anti-H is often negative in an A2B because the B 'uses up' the H as well as the A2, so there's none left to give you a positive result with the anti-H (Of course there IS still H - it's just that the reagent is diluted to show H only when there's a lot of it there)

Muchas muchas gracias for all yours replays:)

This morning I put this result in my lab donors program: A2B.

It's not a Aint because in Aint both reactions with anti-H and anti-A1 are positives, if I remember correct anti-H 3+ and anti-A1 2+ ( I found this in technical manual).

I don't know nothing about AbantuB group..

I agree with Galvania : it's a boring old A2B..

Hi Malcolm, what is AbantuB? What is the reaction pattern? Thanks.

Chun-kwok

Hong Kong

July 9, 2009

Hi Chun-kwok,

I think there can be no better explanation than to quote directly from Geoff Daniels book, Human Blood Groups 2nd edition, 2002, Blackwell Science,

"Abantu is another variation of Aend, found in about 4% of group A black South Africans (paper 245 cited), and in up to 8% of Bushmen and Hottentots, the ethnic group in which the Abantu gene may have originated (paper 301 cited). Anti-A agglutinate Abantu red cells more strongly than Aend cells."

Paper 245 is,

Brain P. Subgroups of A in the South African Bantu. Vox Sang 1966; 11: 686-698.

Paper 301 is,

Jenkins T. Blood group Abantu population and family studies. Vox Sang 1974; 26: 537-550.

:)