Does anyone have the capability to genotype patients? I have gone to several talks from large out of state labs using BioArray Solutions and Progenika. I don't know anyone that does genotyping.

It depends how far you want to send your samples. They certainly perform genotyping at the New York Blood Center and at the International Blood Group reference Laboratory in Bristol, UK, but there must be lots and lots of places all around the world that do so.

Vox Sanguinis (I think it was that journal anyway) have just publish the latest ISBT Workshop on Blood Group Genotyping (although I haven't been able to read the paper yet). If you look at the authors names involved in this, and where they are based, that could help you find someone "local" (I use the term in its loosest sense!).

A bit more detail.

The paper I referred to yesterday is:

Daniels G, van der Schoot CE, Gassner C, Olsson ML. Report of the Third International Workshop on Molecular Blood Group Genotyping. Vox Sanguinis 2009; 96 (4): 337-343.

I still haven't had a chance to see it myself yet, so it may or may not be of use to you Antrita, but it could be worth a try and is almost certainly worth a read in any case.

Hi Antrita,

Are you working in a Hospital Blood Bank or Reference centre? If you're in a Reference Centre why not consider setting up a genotyping service yourselves. We're currently in the process of validating the Inno-Train PCR-SSP for blood group genotyping. Two good manufacturer's in Europe are Inno-Train (http://www.inno-train.de/product-list.php?pid=8) and BAG Healthcare (http://www.bag-healthcare.com/en/Diagnostika/Molecular_Blood_Group_Diagnostics/). We also did limited validation on BioArray, but that's more for donor genotyping (not to mention way more expensive).

Good luck

Mark

Dublin, Ireland

• 1 month later...