Hema-Trax ID BB ID bands

shelleyk482

Has anyone implemented the use of the Hema-Trax BB ID bands? We are looking at these bands because it looks like it could solve some problems for us but I can foresee some other logistical issues.

How do you handle referral specimens such as from doctor's offices, cancer centers, etc since they won't have the printer to make the labels?

How do you handle nurse collect specimens? Do you have label printers & sheets of bands on each nursing unit or do you require that the nurse call down to the lab to have the band printed before collecting the specimen?

How do you handle specimens collected while the patient is in surgery (ideally this would never happen but unfortunately I live very much in the real world)?

I would appreciate any ideas and input.

Thanks,

Shelley

Yes, these are barcoded labels which is why I am so interested in them. Our biggest problem with the bands we now use is the the techs input the BB ID number incorrectly.

Richard- I have now been in contact with Scot and he is sending samples to me.

Shelley,

Have you taken a look at the point-of-care, positive patient identification and transfusion documentation system available from Mediware? This systems uses 2D barcode technology to identify the patient based on five pieces of information and then prints the specimen label at the bedside. When a transfusion is needed the system uses the same technology to positively identify the patient, match the patient to the unit of blood and then allows the caregiver to enter the transfusion documentation all at the point-of-care.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from Typenex!

We wanted to chime in to give some additional information about the Next Generation Barcode Blood Bands we have available. The Typenex bands are an all-in-one banding system that uses code 128 symbology and does not require 2-D scanning capability or printing systems to generate the band information, as it is designed to integrate with infrastructure you have in place, while allowing you to transition into a barcoded transfusion process.

Typenex found that most blood banks can support this linear format for scanning specimens into their 510(k) approved BBIS and automated cross-matching equipment, as well as working with bedside scanners that can read code 128 and even some 2-D scanners.

We are more than happy to send you samples of our latest bands, as well as connect you with current customers who have implemented this solution! In the meantime, check out our video demonstrations and product information here to get familiarized with Typenex.

Please feel free to send me an email with your facility specific needs and we can work with you to determine if a Typenex barcoded blood band solution can meet your needs - jholmes@typenex.com

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Jessica