Competency Assessment

PHYLLIS

Our BB techs perform numerous CAP unknowns through out the year. I'm a little confused about testing them in all aspects of blood bank. Can I select a certain area and focus on that or do I have to test them in every area of BB each year?

Phyllis Picha, MT(ASCP)

BB Supervisor

I test them like you do by rotating the CAP surveys every year. Last year we went live with a new BB computer system so I counted that as proficiency too. If they get a live pt that is a difficult workup I use that as competency and put a copy in their file.

If I get an interesting specimen I'll write it up blind and see if they get it, like an A subgroup or ABO discrepancy. If they don't understand it I use it as a "learning lession"

If someone is struggling with something they get a "personalized learning lesson" tailored to where they are having a problem.

My goal is to make sure everyone "meets the standards" for routine BB procedures. So far I haven't gotten dinged on this, I'll see CAP in early fall.

Every year I decide couple of area for direct observation. We went live with ISBT this year so I wrote a plan and trained them and filed them under competency. I also give them written exam with question on their understanding of SOPs, BB knoweldge and panels. I also give them good articles to read and make up some questions.

• 1 month later...

We just had our CAP inspection on Friday and the inspector really quizzed me on the competency issue. Some of the things I have implemented are:

1. Rotation of the CAP Survey. I use an alphabetical list of techs and everyone gets a chance to perform.

2. As a client of United Blood Services we have access to online CEU courses. One of which is a great PDF/Slide presentation on Antibody Idetification. I made that mandatory for all the BB staff to complete. Then use it as a BB competency.

3. Last year we used the CAP online assessments to help meet competency in BB.

The inspector said she designed observation checklists for all of her procedures. Every year each BB staff member is observed by her and must perform each procedure correctly (as per checklist) in order to meet annual competency in BB.

It seems like there are many different routes to the same destination.

Cinnbb

Just had another idea for helping to meet the competency requirement. Mock panels. I use them in training. Panels are fun and challenging! I use the mock panel then list 10 questions about rationale in regard to the ID, further testing and providing appropriate units for transfusion. All the techs I have trained really thought the mock panels were very helpful.

Mock panels might be a good way to document competency. Might as well keep it fun!