Plt storage without a rotator

Mabel Adams

Which is better, when shipping plts to a small hospital that doesn't usually stock them so has no plt rotator/incubator?

1. Have them leave them in the shipping box for a max of 24 hrs and have them mix them by hand a few times when they take them out to issue them?
  2. Have them jury-rig a rotator using a sero rotator and an insulator (to prevent the motor from making the plts too hot) and record the temp of the plts every 4 hours?

And here's the kicker: does anyone have any real evidence to support their choice?

It is common to feel that plts should be rotated some after shipment and before transfusing, but is there anything other than tradition and "feel" to support this?

When I was revising our methods I searched and searched for a reference for our long time practice of mixing the platelets at least half an hour before issuing them for transfusion......couldn't find anything - I'll be interested to hear if you find any resources.

The only thing I could recommend to you is to call the maufacturer of the platelet bag or collection apheresis device for their recommendations on transport and storage of the product. I am sure that they would have information on the maximum time that platelets can be stored without agitation/rotation.

There is also some question to what is better, platelet rotation or agitation. Some rotators are not acceptable for use with platelet apheresis units.

I know that Cardigan,BCT (formerly Cobe, Gambro, etc.) has a lot of this information available to you for the asking.

Edited by conwaysbb
typos

I have the exact same question that Mabel posted. We are a small hospital using a jury rigged rotater. In my mind rotation seems like a far better option than keeping them in the box but I have no reference for that.

If one uses a rotater / shaker which was designed for an alternate purpose, what are the specifications for the speed of the action and airflow around the bag?

The QA department of my blood supplier shared information about platelet storage/rotation with me. And they didn't have a lot. It seems to be one of those areas where everybody knows there has to be references for the rules but nobody can quite put their fingers on those references.

• 9 months later...

The RPR rotator was the platelet rotator at some facilities.I understand that transport does not require rocking for 24hours-upon arrival the hospital is responsible for temp monitoring and rotating. The transport of blood products have different storage temps from blood fridge 1 to 6c and cooler transport 1-10c.