Specimen Labeling/Acceptability

With regard to specimen labeling, well, I won’t tell you “all†of the things they have done historically here, prior to my coming (I don’t want to shock anyone :eek:), but specifically, this is in regard to Cord Blood specimens. The policy for labeling them has been different in every Institution I have worked at; but one thing that “has†been consistent, is that there are a lot of errors related to Cord Blood specimens.

At my current Institution, the Cord Blood Specimens come with 2 labels on them; one “mom’s†label, and one “baby’s†label. In the past (before me), if one of the labels was missing, they would send the specimen back to Maternity so they could add the other label (it is also worth noting here that we have received Cord specimens where the mom and baby labels on the specimen, are not in fact the same mother/baby combo).

So, I see a number of issues:

Erroneous and/or incomplete labeling; in my mind, is not acceptable; period.

I do NOT send specimens back for corrections and/or labeling; period.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Brenda Hutson,CLS(ASCP)SBB

• 9 months later...

Erroneous and/or incomplete labeling; in my mind, is not acceptable; period.

I do NOT send specimens back for corrections and/or labeling; period.

Brenda -

I agree share and follow your two "rules" (with very rare expection.) Unfortunately, not all other Lab Supervisors adhere to them, so that inconsistency often makes it uncomfortable and difficult to defend my action of discarding the unacceptably-labeled specimens. :slap:

Donna