Generalists and Automation

J Schuler

We are a small transfusion service that transfuses ~200 products a month. Needless to say, almost all of my staff are generalists. I am looking at automation due to staff shortages which seems to be never ending especially in Alaska. I know the generalists will be fine with instrumentation in general. I have looked at both the Provue and Galileo. In the last couple of years I have been very disappointed in Ortho's reagents and customer service (we currently use gel for antibody screens and panels). However, I am very hesitant to purchase the Echo because of the massive change in reading antibody screens (4+ in Capture looks negative by traditional methods).

Does anyone have any success or failure stories with the generalists and reading Capture?

I appreciate any input you are able to give. Thanks. :)

We have all generalists on our evening and nights shifts. We made the switch from gel to the Echo this spring, and have had absolutely zero problems with any of our techs adapting to the change, generalist or not, experienced or inexperienced. The change in methodology was a non-issue for our facility.

Karen

If you are using the instrument they won't be "reading" the capture, that's the instruments job. When we first went to the ABS2000 we kept PEG as our back up method, now that we've gone to the Echo we're doing the same. The difference is that now we get to look at the reactions on the Echo where we never saw them on the ABS2000. Within a couple of months the staff have become very adept at looking at the photos and understanding what the instrument is seeing. No Problems there. I think you can focus your concerns elsewhere.

:crazy:

I recently changed facilities and while I was at my previous facility, I was looking at purchasing automation and had the same concerns about going from gel to solid phase (as my ImmucorGamma rep of many, many years can attest to). I then spent a few months working bench at a facility that had the Galileo and I was pleasantly suprised about how easy it was for me to adjust to reading the solid phase (and I hadn't routinely worked bench for over 15 yrs). I was also suprised with how easy the manual back-up solid phase is. I had done some work on solid phase back in the early 90's and hated it because it was so cumbersome therefore I was very hesitant about trying it again but it was a simple process & easy to read.

I am again in the position that I will be evaluating automation for a small facility that utilizes generalists and currently uses gel and I have to admit that I am leaning toward the Echo.

I've just started training techs, mostly generalists, for the switch from gel to Echo and solid phase. My facility is a bit smaller than yours. What I tell them about positive and negative reactions is this: "In gel, the cells are all in a button in the bottom of the column if the reaction is negative. In solid phase, the cells are all in a button in the bottom of the well if the reaction is negative. In gel, the cells are scattered somewhere through the column if positive. In solid phase, the cells are scattered somewhere through the well if positive." They get it immediately and once they've seen a few camera shots with interpretations, it's no big deal. As was said earlier, Echo is reading the reactions. You just review them.

I think Ortho must be training their sales staff to really push the big fear factor for intrepretation of results. I got that spiel also, as did the folks at a neighboring facility. But it's really a minor thing. Don't worry about that when you are deciding whether or not the instrument is right for you.

I could have written all of the preceeding replies. We have had our Echo for a little over a year, and no one has had a problem with the solid phase readings. After running one or two Type & Screens, everyone looks at the print-out and says "Oh, that makes sense!"

Ditto, ditto, ditto...

We just got our Echo, so haven't really started training techs yet, but I agree with what AMcCord says exactly.

Our staff has been through tube to ReAct, back to tube, then to Gel. I don't anticipate a difficult transistion to Capture on the Echo. There is always a positive control with the antibody screen, so they have another reminder about what a positive is.

We looked at both the Provue & Echo, and the Echo seems much easier to load and operate than the Provue. IMHO.

Linda Frederick

Even though I haven't got my Echo yet (and may not get it at all), I've prepared for training our generalists. I have no worries about them getting it. Most of them were here when we switched to gel many moons ago, and I have no doubts about them being able to handle solid phase.

If anyone has proven to be adaptable to changing situations in this crazy health care industry, it's the med techs. Don't sell your generalists short.

And even if they have trouble, you can threaten them with morning phlebotomy rounds. They'll learn it real quick:cool: