Data conversion validation

We are implementing a new BB Computer System (Wyndgate). An outside agency is tranferring patient data from our old system (Hemocare). Our question is how many patient records need to be validated to check for accuracy? Also, should the patient validation be random, or should it cover examples of special needs, antibodies, etc? I would be grateful for any advice!

We went through a validation in 2006 while converting from Lifeline to Meditech. The first thing to ensure is that all of your unit records are converted. The company that was converting the information only had plans to convert patient info. Our units underwent a legacy conversion and we use a disc to look up old units. I checked random patients and units. I also printed a list of patients with antibodies and special transfusion requirements. I chose a random number of those patients also.

As far as I know there is no magic formule. I checked 450 patients and felt comfortable with the reaults.

Good Luck!

:pcproblem

We are implementing a new BB Computer System (Wyndgate). An outside agency is tranferring patient data from our old system (Hemocare). Our question is how many patient records need to be validated to check for accuracy? Also, should the patient validation be random, or should it cover examples of special needs, antibodies, etc? I would be grateful for any advice!

You might want to take a look at this post.

http://www.bloodbanktalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1984

We went live with a new BB system in March. We had approximately 200,000 patient records to convert. We validated 416 patient records known to have antigen/antibody information or special transfusion messages. We included all patients known to be IgA deficient with anti-IgA. We validated patient demographics, ABO/Rh, antigen/antibody, and special messages. I made worksheets that listed the information from our old system and had my techs look up and record the information that was converted to the new system. Each worksheet had room for eight patients and I made two worksheets for each letter of the alphabet. That is how I got to the number 416: 26 x 8 x 2 = 416. Having techs involved served as a training tool for looking up information on archived patients in the new system. I also reviewed all patients that had free text comments in our old system. There were between 500-600. The vast majority of free text was redundant or not of any clinical significance so we deleted all but 62 of them from the conversion and I validated all of the 62. I was lucky that someone in our LIS did the extraction and conversion for us so I had the opportunity to clean up the files quite a bit. We did a lot of tweaking to get exactly what we wanted and exclude what we did not want. I do not think this would have been possible with a outside company doing the extract and conversion. I am very grateful that we had the expertise in-house.

Our units for the past 10 years were also converted but I did not spend much time validating units or patient transfusion histories since our lab system still has read only access to our old BB system. We also have the extracted data from our old system on CD.

We just went live last Wed with HCLL (old Hemocare users) and converted 15 years worth of data.

We selected 5 patients all with multiple antibodies and special needs and when we received our initial converted data, about 3 months before go live they were all there.

Then we randomly selected 100 patients and reviewed everything from ABO/Rh, XM, special instructions, etc and verified that what we had in the old system, i.e. 2+, 3+, comp, that kind of thing transferred over.

The day of go live, when we first had access to the converted data, I checked those initial 5 patients with all of the abs and special instructions and verified that the results were still like they were with the first data conversion check.

On go live day you'll only have enough time to check your abnormal patients or whatever you decide to check to verify that the final data conversion was successful. Once your interface is working the fun starts!

As time permits we will recheck those 100 other patients.