Transfusing Patients Receiving Win-Rho

jhaig

This is something we almost never see here, but I had a patient today that typed as an O-Positive and gave me a positive antibody screen and a 4+ DAT. The panel came up as Anti-D, and I confimred that the patient received a dose of Win-Rho at another hospital two days ago.

For future reference, would I transfuse with O Pos or O Neg? Win-Rho coats Rh-Pos RBC's, so would a transfusion of O Neg lessen the effect of the drug? Would a transfusion of additional Rh-Pos RBC's give drug enhancement?

TTP patients has platelet antibody and platelets are getting destroyed in the spleen. BY giving winRho spleen is busy in destroying anti-D coated red cell usually you see increase in platelet count or atleast no further decline.

I believe they try to give steroid to TTP patient and if that doesn't help the doc will try winRho and if nothing works then spleenectomy.

Transfusion of RBC is dependent upon patient's condition. In the beginning you need to give Rh positive unless patient is sign & symptoms of intravascular hemolysis, sudden drop in Hgb. AT my place BB director talks to clinician and make the decision to give Rh pos or Rh neg.

I think you mean ITP, not TTP.

TTP patients has platelet antibody and platelets are getting destroyed in the spleen. BY giving winRho spleen is busy in destroying anti-D coated red cell usually you see increase in platelet count or atleast no further decline.

I believe they try to give steroid to TTP patient and if that doesn't help the doc will try winRho and if nothing works then spleenectomy.

Transfusion of RBC is dependent upon patient's condition. In the beginning you need to give Rh positive unless patient is sign & symptoms of intravascular hemolysis, sudden drop in Hgb. AT my place BB director talks to clinician and make the decision to give Rh pos or Rh neg.