How long can FFP be out at Room Temp and still relabel as Thawed Plasma?

JLF

We had some FFP that was left at the plasma thawer for three hours at room temperature during massive trauma situation. We searched literature to try to determine if this FFP product could be relabeled as Thawed Plasma. We found an article from Transfusion 2002;42:1581-1584, that investigated the potential use of thawed SDP that was stored at room temperature for up to 5 days. Does anyone have a reference for how long a thawed FFP can be out at room temperature after thawing and still utilized as Thawed Plasma? For that matter how long can the thawed product be at room temperature and still be labeled as Thawed FFP?

I have seen FFP thawing upon shift change and no one knew when the units began thawing. Since the units were totally warm and there was no indication of when the units began thawing, I decided to waste the units.

We have no written guidelines, so we assume the 30 minute rule after the completion of the thaw. I have also been informed that FFP sent to OR in an ice chest is not eligible for re-issue because it needs to be refrigerated for 8 hours before the hemotemp can be applied. Does anyone have information that would shine more light on FFP room temp limits and re-issue.

Edited by LABKING
spelling

We have two main concerns: Bacterial growth if unit contaminated and factor degradation.

Plt in closed system can be stored for 5 days at room temp, but we know they have a higher frequency of transmitting bacteria to the recipient (unless the newer approaches have improved this). Plts are so precious that may be an acceptable risk not willingly taken on for FFP.

There is now a good bit of research about factor changes over time, but I am not sure it includes much with room temp. storage. This would be a good SBB project, no?

Hi there,

FFP, once thawed, can be kept in 4-6 C , (if not immediately used / transfused !) . FFP stored like that in the refrigerator can be used as FFP for 24 hours from the time of thawing. If not used till then as FFP, may be used as stored liquid plasma and can be used as volume expanders or protein supplimentations in renal and hepatic cases.

best wishes !

• 2 weeks later...

I work at a large facility in central Ohio. We only return plasma into inventory if it has been at room temp for less than one hour. We discard any plasma found in our thawers (which automatically remove plasma from 37C water) unless we know it was there for less than 1 hour. We convert FFP or Plasma less than 24 hours into "Thawed Plasma" and store it for 5 days at 1-6C. These decisions were made years ago based on some articles that were found but I was not there at that time so I don't know the exact references.

Barobinson, do me a favor, check the reference section of you SOP for FFP and see if the authors have referenced any journals. That might indicate where their info came from. If they have, please share that with us. I need all the ammo I can get. I'm still trying to get 5 day plasma approved here.:cries:

Thanks

John