Anti-D reactions on automated analyzers

bbbirder

I am trying to find out if anyone uses a 'cutoff' for their Galileo (or Echo) analyzer when testing Rh?

I read on the AABB forum that JJudd recommends a cutoff of <3+ for anti-D when using gel for D typing (because some of these can be partial Ds), but I can't find if anyone has studied this with the Galileo or Echo.

I know that on the Echo, Immucor says you need to use Immucor Series 4 & Series 5 anti-D reagents. From what I have read and from an Echo Beta test site customer I spoke with, the Capture system is very sensitive. Unlike donor centers, I want to be able to call D-Variants Rh negative.

We current get a few Rh typing discrepancies each year from OB patients who have prenatal work done by a different lab using gel (they have no cutoff for anti-D reaction) vs our manual tube method.

Thanks,

Linda Frederick

• 4 weeks later...

we dont use a cutoff value. however, if the D4 and D5 are discrepant (one +, other ?or neg), our protocol is to repeat the test, and if not resolved, we call the patient Rh neg. In most cases, the D4 reacts, but the D5 does not.