DAT question

ABBowers

We are doing our annual competencies and this month's competency is on DATs. The question that has come up is whether or not a cell washer's finals wash and spin constitutes a dry cell button or if you still have to blot the tube. Most of the techs (and I am one) just take the tubes out and use them as is. What do any of you do?:confused:

I find the amount of saline remaining in my Sorvalls after the last wash rather disturbing. I tried calibrating a harder and longer spin, but that didn't make any noticeable difference. This isn't a big issue since we do most of our testing (DAT's included) in gel. Whenever a cell washer goes in for maintenance it isn't even missed.

BC

I am wishing I had kept the nifty device from our old Sorval tubing that I used instead of the pinch valve. It was a barrel shaped thing that you twisted to increase or decrease saline volume. It was standard on Sorval cellwashers 25+ years ago, I think. I should go dig around in storage for it now that I know it is valuable.

That's what we use, Mabel, but it is still basically a pinch valve- just a rotary pinch valve. I have never figured it out. One time I can twist the valve 4 or 5 rotations and only change the amount of saline dispensed by 1 or 2 mL, the next time all I have to do is thump it and it increases the output 10 mL. One time rotating it clockwise might increase the output, the next time clockwise decreases the output. Makes you want to go back to handwashing with a rubber band to hold the tubes in the rotor.

BC